Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Raid on Bukoba, 22nd/23rd June 1915

Jim_Grundy

I found this article in a Nottingham newspaper recently, which might be of interest to those studying the campaign in German East Africa:

“EAST AFRICAN FIGHTING.

“NOTTINGHAM MEN IN THE BUKOBA EXPEDITION.

“GERMAN STATION DESTROYED.

“An official account of the successful British operations against Bukoba, the German base on the Victoria Nyanza, which included stores, fort, and wireless station, is furnished to the Daily Leader of British East Africa of June 29th, a copy of which journal has been sent to us by a correspondent. The proceedings are of special interest to Nottingham readers, as several men from this city and county took part in the fighting. The expedition in which a combined naval and military force was engaged and proceeded from Kisumu, one of the objects being to create native trouble for the Germans, and thus lessen their pressure on the Kagera River and the Southern Uganda frontier.

“The British force was composed of small detachments of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (Driscoll’s Scouts), 3rd King’s African Rifles, 29th Punjabis, East African Rifles, Maxims, and small complements of artillery and engineers. The members of the force from Nottingham and the county included Major R.B. Webb, of Newstead Abbey [1], Quartermaster-Sergeant T. Wright [2], Corporal Spedding [3], Lance Corporal J.L. Piggin [4], Private H. Butler, and Private C. Ashworth. The casualty list shows that Major Webb (25th Royal Fusiliers) and Lance Corporal Piggin were both wounded in the hand. Private “P.” Ashworth is reported killed. [5]

“TRIUMPHANT ADVANCE.

“From the start the expedition proved a great success, it being a general advance, for the whole of the two days fighting, took place 22nd and 23rd June. Bukoba lies on the western shore of the lake, about 30 miles south of the Anglo-German border, on a small marshy plain backed by grassy hills, covered with boulders, with scarps often merging into formidable crags. The town, which is divided into two by the Kanoni River, possess extensive Indian and African quarters, with Roman Catholic and Protestant Missions. Major von Sturmer was the German commandant, whose forces in the neighbourhood comprised some 350 rifles, a gun, and two machine guns.

“The bulk of our forces, including mountain guns, landed about three miles north of Bukoba at dawn on the 22nd, a hostile piquet being surprised and driven off. The landing party, assisted by the ships’ guns, cleared the Karawsi Hill, covering the landing of the remainder of the force nearer the town. The enemy’s gun meanwhile was silenced by the fire of our lake steamers, H.M.S. Nyanza and Winifred. By noon the British force faced the enemy’s main position, with impenetrable marshes on the right, and crags and rocks on the centre and left, and was soon heavily engaged, well-concealed machine guns and sharpshooters holding us up for some considerable time. The enemy’s gun (continues the official account) again opened on our mountain guns from the northern exist of Bukoba, but was soon driven to take up a new position at the Protestant Mission to the south of the town, where its great distance made it comparatively harmless.

“SHARP FIGTHING.

“At 3 p.m. the fight was at its hottest, but we gradually gained superiority of fire, our mountain guns forcing the enemy’s machine-guns to evacuate their positions among the crags. The enemy behaved with the utmost gallantry under the heaviest fire and endeavoured to remove one of their machine guns, which was prevented by the splendid practice of our gunners, who sent shell after shell among the gun detachment, finally smashing it up completely.

“The Lancashire on our right flank were now slowly working their way round the enemy’s left flank, and this, combined with a steady hail of bullets from our frontal attack closely supported by gun and Maxim fire, broke down the enemy’s resistance and forced him to commence retiring. The Royal Fusiliers now advanced across the open valley, fording a stream breast high, and were closely followed by the K.A.R., whose progress on our left had been held up by dense jungle and swamps.

“The advance was now rapid, the enemy pouring in a final burst, before our victorious troops swept on to the crest of the enemy’s position a few minutes before sunset. The enemy’s artillery made one last effort, but in vain, for darkness finally put a stop to all resistance, and the K.A.R. put out piquets round our tired but eager troops. Except for some sniping the night passed quietly, and was mostly employed in bringing up reserves of ammunition and supplies.

“HOW THE TOWN WAS TAKEN.

“At daylight Bukoba was at our feet, some two miles distant. The Royal Fusiliers formed up in the plain on our left, the K.A.R. and guns were on the high ground in the centre, whilst the Lancs. and 29th Punjabis formed up on our right. Machine guns were distributed throughout the line.

“The fight was opened by the enemy making an attack on our right centre, closely supported by machine gun fire, which gave us considerable trouble in the dense plantations, till our guns finally located it and silenced it for the remainder of the fight. The enemy’s gun now opened an accurate fore on our centre from the Protestant Mission, but did little damage, thanks to the excellent cover among the immense boulders and rocks. Meanwhile the Fusiliers were making good progress in the plain, and all was ready for a final advance when a drenching rainstorm, obscuring all view and depriving us of artillery support, held us up till 9.15 a.m., when once more the sun came out and instilled life again into our drenched troops.

“The advance, over rocky and difficult country, was aided by the fire of our ships, which came close in shore, while our mountain guns finally silenced the enemy’s field gun by unerring fire at long range, and the deserted gun was afterwards placed on board one of the vessels, whence it eventually fell overboard in a storm. At 12.30 p.m. the enemy began to retire.

“The Lancashires entered the town from the west. The German flag over the fort was hauled down by an officer of the Royal Fusiliers at about 1.20 p.m. and the hoisting of the Union Flag announced to all that Bukoba had been taken.

“A DISORGNISED RABBLE.

“The enemy, by now thoroughly demoralised after the loss of their gun and the rough handling they had experienced, broke and fled in a disorganised rabble and were not seen again. The rout was complete, and after two days’ stubborn fighting the enemy’s fortified base lay at our mercy. The enemy’s verified casualties were 16 killed and 20 wounded, but they are in all probability considerably higher. Our losses were much less than the enemy’s and our loss in material was nil.

“Our engineers now turned their attention to the wireless station, fort, and [illegible] buildings, all of which were completely demolished by dynamite and fire. We destroyed or captured the following: One field gun, two machine guns, 32,000 rounds small arms ammunition, 144 rounds gun ammunition, 40 cases of petroleum, 35 cases lubricating oil, one motor launch, three small boats, several standards, including a Mohammedan flag, and a quantity of explosives.

“As it was not intended to hold Bukoba, the force re-embarked on June 23rd, leaving the town “a sorry sight, and being plundered and looted by the local inhabitants who swarmed in to complete the enemy’s discomfiture.” Although the enemy selected his gun positions at mission stations it is believed that no shell touched a mission building. A feature of the fighting was the courage and initiative of the enemy’s Arab troops; it was not till the German officer commanding them was killed that they broke and fled.

“WHAT WE ACCOMPLISHED.

“The official statement concludes:

“Apart from destroying Bukoba, which the enemy had been using as a base and depot for his Kagera line, and ruining the wireless station which had played such an important part in his communications, the effect on the natives will be enormous. The enemy may expect considerable trouble in the future, from a population who have witnessed the destruction of the enemy’s fortified base, and the complete overthrow of the enemy’s forces. The fact that the natives were only too ready to loot Bukoba on our departure gives a good idea of their future attitude towards their Teuton masters.”

‘Nottingham Daily Guardian’, 19th August 1915.

[1] Major Roderick Beauclerk Webb, 25th Royal Fusiliers, died of heart failure the following year on 27th July 1916, aged 49. The condition must have been congenital, as his father and two sisters all succumbed to the disease. He too is buried in Dar Es Salaam War Cemetery, Tanzania.

[2] 13081 CQMS Thomas Wright, 25th Royal Fusiliers, discharged as no longer fit for service, 20th June 1918.

[3] 13589 Corporal Norman J. Spedding, B Company, 25th Royal Fusilier, commissioned into East African Labour Corps, 1st August 1916.

[4] 13041 Pte. John Laverseed Piggin, 25th Royal Fusiliers, commissioned 1st December 1916 and later Lieutenant, Machine Gun Corps, of West Bridgford, Nottingham. Mentioned in despatches, 6th August 1918.

[5] 12936 Private Philip Ashworth, 25th Royal Fusiliers, k.i.a. 22nd June 1915, aged 38. Buried in Dar Es Salaam War Cemetery, Tanzania. Son of Joseph and Mary Ellen Ashworth. Born at Middleton, Lancs., England.

Can't trace H. Butler, sadly.

Aside from the inevitable gloss that is placed on events - 'spin' hardly being a new invention - I was struck, firstly, by the assertion that it was 'Arab' troops under German command had distinguished themselves; and, secondly, that it was the native population that had looted the town. The majority of the looters would have had a paler complexion than your average native African!

This is fantastic Jim.

I wonder is the reason the article is in the first person just a newspaper reporter's convention of the times, or was it written by an 'embedded correspondent', or a military member of the raid.

Mark

Glad you liked it, Mark.

This particular Nottingham newspaper, the 'Nottingham Daily Guardian' carried a lot of stories from the 'Press Association'. I'm not sure whether a more first person re-edit was put on an official report or whether there was, as you've suggested, an embedded correspondent with the troops. A combination of the two, perhaps?

There must be some kind of direct contact, though, since the report was able to name specific individuals who took part in the operation, which can be confirmed from other sources. An account of Webb's return home after receiving his wound at Bukoba and an account written by Spedding are both on my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=117600881609310&topic=105

Great facebook Page Jim. I am a yank but my wife is a Derby Lass. Her parents live in Borrowash, we get to visit there every couple of years. I've been to the Sherwood Forresters Regimental Museum ( after a brief respite at Ye Old Trip to Jerusalem). Her grandfather and great grandfather were both in the Forresters for WWII and WWI respectively I believe.

Thanks, Mark. Much appreciated, particularly from a Yank!

Ah, the Trip. Sadly, not even the oldest in Nottingham, let alone England but, what the hell, not often you get to drink in a cave!

If you need a list of pubs to visit for future reference: 'Lincolnshire Poacher' (Nottingham); 'The Bell' (Nottingham); 'The Flower Pot' (Derby); Ye Dolphin (Derby); and 'The Silk Mill' (Derby).

Perhaps I should have a page dedicated to a pub guide too.

Thanks Jim

A lot of Arabs lived, and still do, around the Great Lakes - a reminder of how they once 'colonised' the area for 'trade' purposes from Zanzibar, which used to belong to Oman.

The Germans used irregular troops provided by friendly 'Sultans', or local chiefs in the Lake Victoria region. Some of these lads were good fighters.

After the British left Bukoba the locals looted the European town totally, but retribution and the hangman's rope returned with the Germans.

Harry

Jim,

I thought the Trip was the oldest in England and the Dolphin was the oldest in Derby. I learn something new everyday.

I've been to the Dolphin and The Silk Mill. My father In-Law is always kind enough to show me the finer establishments :) Also the Jarrocks and the Standing Room.

I've heard of the Bell, but not the Flower Pot.

Its making me thirsty.

Thanks, Harry. Once again, your knowledge on this subject resolves all.

I read about some 'carousing' that took place once the Germans left and that it was ALL blamed on the local population. Sounds very much as though what the British started, the locals very much finished off. Before the Germans 'finished off' other things later on.

Mark, I think we'd better continue that conversation elsewhere!

Jim

Another excellent find, well done. As the article states, it was an official account of the action as reported in the Daily Leader of June 29th. I don't have that article but I do have one from the East African Standard of July 3rd which is pretty much word perfect for the later Nottingham Guardian version but without the Nottingham/shire slant. The Standard's version states it was an "Official Account of Operations communicated by the General Staff and I suspect it was probably released to give a positive boost to the morale of those in British East Africa desperate for some good news after being on the back foot for the past nine months or so.

The H. Butler mentioned would be 13314 Private Harold Butler. I don't have anything more on him but for his medal roll entries which state he served overseas with the 25th Battalion from 10th April 1915* to 3rd November 1918.

* The Royal Fusiliers BWM & Victory Medal roll tends to record the date of embarkation for the 25th Battalion rather than it's 4th May 1915 arrival in theatre, his 1914/15 Star entry records the arrival date though. The Star was recorded in the 5th Battalion's entries so he obviously went to the Reserve Battalion at Dover on his return to the UK.

Regards

Steve