Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another possible non-comm

ralphjd

Terry. Just been researching a soldier for my mate, the man is commemorated on a very badly vandalised memorial in Healey Rochdale. His papers have survived and his death was early 1920, discharged 29-3-1919 with pulmonary tb attributable (according to his notes). My question - is a death certificate still required for him to be considered by the CWGC ? Ralph.

Ralph.

Yes. The death cert is needed to link cause of death to cause of discharge. If he got hit by a runaway Rochdale tram then he won't be eligible.

John

Ralph

Have you managed to find his grave?

Chris

My next task is to visit our local studies library to try and find an obituary for him and see if it gives his place of burial. I will get his death cert next week. Thanks chaps. Ralph.

I have not got his dc (yet) but do have a copy of the page from the death register (he is number 412 on page 83 )which gives his death as Phthisis Pulmonalis, is this sufficient for the CWGC or do they need the actual copy dc which is only extracted from this page in any case. Ralph.

Ralph

To my mind that's a knocking certainty of linkage between cause of discharge and cause of death.

However, CWGC will require the actual death certificate not an extract. If you'd like In From the Cold to submit this to CWGC for you, we'll be happy to do so. The deal is that you get the certificate, if it confirms everything, we will get everything moving (with you named as the "finder", of course), and we'll refund the cost of the cert to you. The refund is not dependent on CWGC/MoD accepting the submission, only on us agreeing to put it forward. OK with you?

John

John. That is absolutely fine by me, I will get his dc next week, presumably for it to be posted to you/Terry ? Ralph.

Ralph

Yep. Please contact Terry. He'll want you to scan it as a jpeg and email it with any other info you have on the guy.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent Ralph