Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information needed

Angrybudgie

Could someone give me some information on the first two items please, are they official or tailors offerings???? The second two are obviously for wearing in the lapel of a civilian suit.....

Thanks Elizabeth

post-45177-0-84783800-1299282248.jpg

post-45177-0-46095900-1299282274.jpg

post-45177-0-74977700-1299282344.jpg

post-45177-0-57002600-1299282356.jpg

If the sizes are relative, the first two look like standard issue ribbon strips to be worn on the breast of a uniform or civilian dress at the discretion of the wearer. The second two look like miniature ribbon strips and I am not aware of any official allowance for these or for wearing them in a lapel. I understood lapel wear to be full miniatures. I would say that the second two were the special tailor's offerings. Antony

Thanks Piorun,

The second two appear to be miniature ribbon bars that have a small metal attachment on the back, this appears to me to fit through the hole on a gentleman's lapel on a civilian suit. For wear after demob perhaps? As you suggest something a tailor might offer his customers. The first two appear to be full size ribbon bars. I purchased these on *bay yesterday, so will be able provide more information when I recieve them hopefully ( and better photographs). Whatever they are I am happy with my buy, but have not seen these pop up before and was curious as to whether the first two, which are on card might have some official status. I think they are all period, so good for my project - Family History.

Elizabeth