Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Edmund O. Krohn, 84 Squadron RFC

bushfighter

post-20901-0-52405400-1299256734.jpg

This memorial tablet is on a wall inside the English Church in Funchal, Madeira, Portugal.

I wish to write a short article on it for the local English-language monthly paper (titled The Brit!).

Please may any informed Member advise me about 84 Squadron and its equipment, and on the operations over St Gobain Forest on 1st March 1918.

Thank you

Harry

84 Squadron RFC was a fighter unit ,the pilots of which flew the single sear SE5a- My great uncle Capt,K M StC G Leask MC* was an ace in this sqadron.Only the Sqdn

Operations book can tell you about ops on 1st March 1918 but I will see what I can Google. Leask is also in this section..

There was a giant railway gun hidden in this forest,which 84 Sqdn were strafing on that day,or were balloon busting or both.As Krohn was killed in aerial combat there were obviously enemy fighters also in the area.

If you don't already have it:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=328523

Name: KROHN, EDMUND OTTO

Initials: E O

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 84th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 01/03/1918

Additional information: Son of Edmund William Krohn and of Emma Dina Krohn (nee Hertz), of Funchal, Madeira.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 1. L. 15.

Cemetery: CHAUNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY BRITISH EXTENSION Name: KROHN, EDMUND OTTO

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=34400&mode=1

Cemetery: CHAUNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY BRITISH EXTENSION

Locality: Aisne

Location Information: Chauny is a commune 35 kilometres west of Laon. Chauny Communal Cemetery British Extension can be reached from the direction of Ham following the D937, Ham to Chauny road. It is necessary to cross a major road, the N32. Shortly after the junction the approach to Chauny is via a roundabout and a small industrial estate. After several hundred metres a left turn must be made at the first set of traffic lights, following the CWGC sign. Chauny Communal Cemetery British Extension will be found 300 metres after the junction on the right side of the road.

Historical Information: The Extension was made after the Armistice for the burial of remains brought in from the battlefields of the Aisne and from the following smaller cemeteries in the surrounding countryside:- CHARMES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION (Aisne), where 14 soldiers were buried by their comrades in June and July, 1918. CHAUNY FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY (Aisne), where two British soldiers were buried in January and March, 1918. CHAUNY GERMAN NATIONAL CEMETERY (Aisne), which contained 15 British graves of March-July, 1918. COUCHY-LE-CHATEAU GERMAN CEMETERY (Aisne), where six British soldiers were buried in August, 1918. CRECY-SUR-SERRE GERMAN CEMETERY (Aisne), where 53 British soldiers were buried, mainly by the Germans, in March-September, 1918. JAULZY CHURCHYARD (Oise), where a British soldier was buried in August, 1914. LA BOVETTE GERMAN CEMETERY, FOURDRAIN (Aisne), where one British soldier was buried in March, 1918. LA FERE COMMUNAL CEMETERY (Aisne), which contained three British graves of August, 1914. LANCHY CHURCHYARD (Aisne) which contained two British graves of April, 1917. LE TROU-FOURCY GERMAN CEMETERY, SUZY (Aisne), which contained six British burials of August, 1918; two of these were moved to Grand-Seraucourt British Cemetery. MENNESSIS COMMUNAL CEMETERY (Aisne), where one British soldier was buried in March, 1918. PREMONTRE COMMUNAL CEMETERY (Aisne), which contained two British burials of July and August, 1918. SEMPIGNY CHURCHYARD (Oise), which contained a British burial of August, 1914. VERSIGNY GERMAN CEMETERY (Aisne), which contained three British burials of August, 1918. VILLEQUIER-AUMONT GERMAN CEMETERY (Aisne), where six British soldiers were buried in March, 1918. VILLEQUIER-AUMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY (Aisne), where one British soldier was buried in a private vault. There are just over 1,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. The majority of them died in 1918; most of the rest died in September, 1914. Included the total figure are 6 soldiers of the United Kingdom whose identity had been established with reasonable, but not absolute certainty and who are commemorated by special memorial headstones bearing the superscription 'Believed to be', and 26 soldiers of the United Kingdom and 5 of Canada whose graves could be identified collectively but not individually and who are commemorated by special memorial headstones bearing the superscription 'Buried near this spot'. There are also 26 soldiers of the United Kingdom who are commemorated in the cemetery as follows: 22 who were buried at the time in MENNESSIS and PREMONTRE Communal cemeteries and in the former German cemeteries at Crecy-sur-Serre, Villequier-Aumont, Versigny, Couchy-le-Chateau, Fourdrain and Suzy and whose graves are lost are commemorated by special memorial headstones inscribed to that effect, with the additional inscription 'Their glory shall not be blotted out'; 3 are commemorated by special memorial headstones bearing the superscription 'Believed to be buried in this cemetery'; and one, whose grave is known to be in the cemetery although the exact place of burial could not be established, is commemorated by a special memorial headstone inscribed 'Buried in this cemetery'. The Cemetery Extension covers an area of 3,729 square metres.

No. of Identified Casualties: 437

This officers AIR 76 file is here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8237621&queryType=1&resultcount=1

On 28th Feb 1918, while flying SE5a no. C5379, Krohn got into a combat with 3 enemy aircraft over St Gobain at 16.35, having left his airfield at 15.25. Vzfw U Neckel from Jasta 12 made a claim of an SE5A on this date.

Simon

Just to clarify the dates, it is my understanding now that he died of his wounds the day after the air fighting and combat - hence the date of death 1 March 1918.

Regards,

Trevor

Unusual name. It originated in the Schleswig-Holstein region of Northern Germany - "Krahn" being the old German word for "crane". There were family branches in Denmark and South Africa - as well as here in Maldon, UK.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon.

Gentlemen Members

Thank you very much for the interesting information..

What does an AIR 76 file contain?

Harry

His Service Record presumably -available at the NA at a cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Edmund Krohn was my grandfather's first cousin. In addition to a lot of information about the Krohn family in Madeira, I also have a copy of AIR 76 from TNA, though it has very little information about his career.

This is my first post, so am not sure how much to write, but will happily supply any details you would like for your article.

Regards

Alison

post-20901-0-52405400-1299256734.jpg

This memorial tablet is on a wall inside the English Church in Funchal, Madeira, Portugal.

I wish to write a short article on it for the local English-language monthly paper (titled The Brit!).

Please may any informed Member advise me about 84 Squadron and its equipment, and on the operations over St Gobain Forest on 1st March 1918.

Thank you

Harry

Alison

Thank you very much.

Perhaps you could email me at:

harryfecitt@yahoo.co.uk

I would like any basic details about Edmund in Madeira that could go into a short half-page tabloid article.

Also a copy of the AIR 76 document if it is possible to scan it into an email.

Harry

(I tried sending you a Personal Message but the GWF system forbids this until you have made a certain number of posts.)

• 12 years later...

Medals went unsold.

Stephen (Maldon).

6 hours ago, stephen p nunn said:

Medals went unsold.

At both that opening price and in the current economic climate they very likely will remain so for a long time.