Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No Parachute

gem22

The author served as a pilot on the western front with 46 squadron RFC. The book is made up of letters he wrote home to his wife. The book covers the period from mid May 1917 to Jan 1918 at which point he he was posted to Home Establishment as a training instructor. He flew Pups and Camels in his time in France and was due to return in a Salamander squadron but the war finished before the squadron was ready.

His description of squadron life is rivetting. He certainly pulled no punches when it came to describing what it was like to fly and fight in those days. How his wife put up with his letters can only be guessed at. They were highly descriptive.

For those forum members who are particularly interested in the air war this book is a must. For anyone else it has to be rated highly recommended.

Garth

Agreed an interesting book,I have the Sterling Silver ID Tags & Chain, of Lt Marchant,MC;,Middlesex Regiment/RFC who is mentioned & is Pictured in the Book,which I was fortunate enough to find amongst a Box of assorted Books @ a local General Auction some years ago.

Guest Biplane pilot

Lee included an addenda about the RAF's refusal to issue parachutes to aircrew. He was, not surprisingly, really cranky about the policy.

• 2 years later...
Agreed an interesting book,I have the Sterling Silver ID Tags & Chain, of Lt Marchant,MC;,Middlesex Regiment/RFC who is mentioned & is Pictured in the Book,which I was fortunate enough to find amongst a Box of assorted Books @ a local General Auction some years ago.

I am the Secretary of the No 46 squadron Association and I thought you might be interested to know that we have held annual reunion dinners since 1917. The first organizer was "Chaps" Marchant who continue in the role into the late 50's. I have set up a Wikki page for the Sqn that you might like to look at; it contains a link to Chaps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._46_Squadron_RAF

Many thanks Tiller, A very interesting set of link{s} & I will peruse in depth later.

Welcome to the Forum!

No Parachute is indeed excellent, without a doubt it's one of the classic books on the Great War in the air. AVM A G Lee's other two books are also well worth reading:

Open Cockpit expands the story of his wartime service in No 46 Sqn, and complements No Parachute;

Fly Past is an account of his later service in the RAF, especially between the Wars and in the 1939-1945 conflict.

Gareth

The author served as a pilot on the western front with 46 squadron RFC. The book is made up of letters he wrote home to his wife. The book covers the period from mid May 1917 to Jan 1918 at which point he he was posted to Home Establishment as a training instructor. He flew Pups and Camels in his time in France and was due to return in a Salamander squadron but the war finished before the squadron was ready.

His description of squadron life is rivetting. He certainly pulled no punches when it came to describing what it was like to fly and fight in those days. How his wife put up with his letters can only be guessed at. They were highly descriptive.

For those forum members who are particularly interested in the air war this book is a must. For anyone else it has to be rated highly recommended.

Garth

Agree. One of my favorite books on the war. I've read it many times over the years. The author has a real talent for writing and a sensitivity that make the books something special.

The format of the book, comparing his diary entries to what he was writing his wife I found especially moving--how he tried to protect her from many of the details of his life at the front.

Paul