Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st battalion, Sherwood Foresters,, look up please?

pioneer

Hi guys

Has anyone got the 1st battalion, Sherwood Foresters war diary?

If so would you be kind enough to have a look if there is mention of 9291 Alfred Bruce Leivers MM/MID (actualy spelt Leivars) especially 1918?

Many thanks

Pioneer

Only this in the 1st Btn War Diary for April 1918 with a list of other gallantry winners.

9291 A/C.S.M. LEIVERS H.B. M.M.

Adding to the above -

Military Medal citation - London Gazette 16 July 1918 -

Leivers, A.B. Sergeant, acting Company Sergeant major, 9291. 1st Battalion. 'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during lengthy operations at St Christ on 24th and 25th March 1918'

Steve M

Many thanks guys, once again for your kind help.

He is my great uncle and was also MID, however, i have no idea when or for what?

Is there any particular book that i should buy regarding the 1st battalion that you know of?.

Many thanks guys, once again for your kind help.

He is my great uncle and was also MID, however, i have no idea when or for what?

Is there any particular book that i should buy regarding the 1st battalion that you know of?.

You may already know about the 1st/2nd Btns in the Great War by Col H.C.Wylly (it was reprinted several years ago), and he is only mentioned on the honours page with all the other MM winners.

Cliff Housley's gallantry book of the Sherwood Foresters obviously has a mention of him but thats all i can find apart from below.

He served with "B" company and was wounded several times, 28th January 1915 and 26th March 1918 and 29th May 1918.

He is on the SWB Roll as enlisted 12th April 1904 and was discharged in1919.

SWB No B96327.

Are you sure he was mentioned as there is no M.I.D. details for him.

Cliff the Regtl Archivist is your best bet if you haven't already contacted him. BRONNO.

Well the medals have an original Oak Leaf on them and when i spoke to Cliff, he too said that he was, however, he had no record as to why or when.

I need to get a copy of the war diary for the following periods as i plan to visit the areas over summer: 27th/28th/29th January 1915 and 25th/26th March 1918 and 28th/29th 30th May 1918. Do you know how i would get this? Would i have to go down to Kew.

I have the complete War Diaries for the 1st and 2nd battalions during WW2, but not WW1.

Cheers

Pioneer