Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Guards

john gregory

Can any member tell me if the Machine Gun Guards had their own shoulder title or was it MGC, also did they have their own buttons or GS or MGC. If anyone has any MGC buttons pm me. Thanks,JG

Can any member tell me if the Machine Gun Guards had their own shoulder title or was it MGC, also did they have their own buttons or GS or MGC. If anyone has any MGC buttons pm me. Thanks,JG

When formed into a regiment in 1918 it was changed.

Guards Machine Gun Regiment - GMGR

"Formed in February 1918 having begun life in 1916 as the Guards Machine Gun Battalion or Machine Gun Guards. Regiment disbanded in 1920.

The above courtesy of "Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" by RA Westlake

post-599-0-59463200-1299179639.jpg

When formed into a regiment in 1918 it was changed.

Guards Machine Gun Regiment - GMGR

"Formed in February 1918 having begun life in 1916 as the Guards Machine Gun Battalion or Machine Gun Guards. Regiment disbanded in 1920.

The above courtesy of "Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" by RA Westlake

Thanks, JG

Picture from Regiment magazine No1 1994-

post-14843-0-74305900-1299186947.jpg

Thanks Paul, is the cloth flash yours ? JG

No. As credited, from Regiment magazine-Text in mag states Gary Gibbs. There is a thread on the forum with an image of the badge being worn, i'll post a link. The men have 2LG cap badges. I have yet to see the GMGR cap badge in use. Button was a crown over GMGR. Regards, Paul.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106709&st=0 post 63

No. As credited, from Regiment magazine-Text in mag states Gary Gibbs. There is a thread on the forum with an image of the badge being worn, i'll post a link. The men have 2LG cap badges. I have yet to see the GMGR cap badge in use. Button was a crown over GMGR. Regards, Paul.

http://1914-1918.inv...pic=106709&st=0 post 63

I suspect the design was sealed not long after formation in 1918, but then the badge barely issued before the war was over. In 1919 the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd battalions reverted to their cavalry role and the 5th battalion reduced to company strength (as the depot cadre) leaving only the 4th battalion (the original MGG, as formed from foot guards) who mounted guard at Buckingham Palace for the first and last time, as the battalion was disbanded the following year. I imagine that the GMGR cap badge was unpopular with the 4th battalion who, being foot guards originally, probably much preferred the star shape of their original badge for which they must have felt some loyalty and affection, especially given that horse guards had abandoned the concept of the new regiment immediately the war was over so that they could get back to their beloved horses.

Thanks everyone, a couple of other questions, did they have any other insignia apart from the white on red flash and did the cap badge have lugs or a slider, as there are some on ebay and which is genuine or fake. JG

post-20062-0-58429700-1299250918.jpg

Probably best to research on the British Military Badge Forum. Both the Guards Machine Gun Bn. and the Guards Machine Gun Regiment badges should have sliders. There are no obvious things to point out-so you will need to become familiar with the badges as they are not cheap. Regards, Paul.