Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

new helmet!

scottmarchand

Hi,

I recently picked up (very cheaply) an excellent late war 18 Eastern Div 54 bde 8 Sussex officers helmet, interestingly on an American made helmet. I welcome your observations.

P1010836.jpg

P1010837.jpg

P1010841.jpg

Scott

My tentative opinion is that I'm not convinced by it. The insignia is rather big and garish, and doesn't look "obviously right" in the photos. Neither of those things makes it wrong! One really needs to handle the piece to make a judgement, plus I have seen some pretty garish original insignia. Being on an American helmet, though, seems to me to weigh heavily against it. I have never seen or heard of a US helmet with British insignia, or read of the British Army being issued with US helmets. Perhaps someone can pronounce on this?

Regards,

W.

Add: I've seen one original 18 Div helmet many years ago, and the insignia was on the front, not the side. Saying that, this one looks as if rust may be coming through the white paint, which could be a good sign, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

Interesting finish on that helmet. Usually U.S. helmets have a very gritty, sandy non-reflective surface. This one appears smooth and shiny.

Hi Wainfleet: I inderstand your points, but the officers of the 18 Div late war wore their div flashes on the sides of their helmets, OR's to the front/back? - I'm sometimes uncertain. I was surprised by the american helmet, but I won't indicte it on that point alone. It is consistent throughout in general condition and feel and the paint is much brighter in the pictures here on account of the flash a daylight picture might be better. The rust is coming up through the paint. In contrast to you I think it is well done and tidy paint very similar in style to others in my collection. It's an odd unit or combination to try and fake though if someone did, if they did that much on the unit why use an american helemt to fake when that would be an obvious telling point? I got it from a UK arms/gun dealer with it in his misc section along with other odds and ends they get with armaments equipment lots. I am pretty certain its legit.

Matt: yes many 'merican helmets have a rough sand texture, but many are smother and some have had the texture reduced in service often to facilitate painting. If you look through ebay USA in the WW I american headgear section you'll see a wide almost endless variety of american helmet finishes.