Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Taking Farafra Oasis Oct 1916

rmcguirk

After the Sanusi retreat from Egypt's central oases Farafra was reoccupied in mid-October 1916. I understand this was done by men from No. 8 Company ICC accompanied by Intelligence Officer Wilfred Jennings Bramly. Can anyone tell me more about this operation? The Light Cars got to Farafra a month later, but it seems the reoccupation was done with camels alone.

Russell

Mate,

From what I read in Geof Inchbold book on the Camel Corps (pages 36-37) (he was in the 8th Company) (Bimbasi) Bromley took a small force of 50 men from the 8th Company which included

Ward Mark 50019 Pte ICC? (8Co) Ex Dorset Yeo (698) and Hussars (author of an account of this operation)

under Bromley's command, they marched some six days or around 240 miles to the Farafra Oasis, they found the oasis unoccupied and returned safely to Baharia .

This was of cause near the maxium limit of the camels endurence and there was some concern that they may have found the osais occupied. which would have ment a return with animals which may not last the distances.

Cheers

S.B

Russell, don't know if this is of any use but the newspaper The Leader, of Allahabad had the following article in its 4 January 1917 edition:

The news that one of our patrols operating in the Western Desert has entered the Oasis of Farafra shows that the defence work on the western frontier of Egypt has now been consolidated. This is the last of the southern oases belonging to Egypt that still remained in enemy hands and when the large northern Oasis of Siwa is re-occupied every inch of Egyptian territory on this side of the Nile will once more be in our hands. The patrol which entered Farafra found the inhabitants suffering from a severe epedemic of malarial fever and a plague of flies and so did not stay longer than was necessary to carry out a thorough search for armed rebels of whom it took several prisoners and arms and supplies. Arrangements are, I understand, being made to cope with the epedemic.

Aled

SB and Aled, thank you both. I think I'm beginning to understand what happened at Farafra...

1) Inchbold reference very helpful - I've now found the relevant pages. Does anyone know where I could find Private Ward Mark's article about the ICC operation??? My attempt to google failed to find it.

2) 'The Leader' article is also interesting. It's unclear whether it refers to the ICC patrol or the Light Car visit a month later, but otherwise the account is basically correct, whereas the official Despatch covering the event appears to be wrong (and also the Official History, Mil Ops, Egypt & Palestine).

The following from the Despatch in the Supplement to the LG 6 July 1917.

On 15 Nov a patrol left Legalit [in Baharia Oasis] to reconnoitre the Farafra Oasis. The town of Farafra was entered on the 19th. All Senussi followers were separated from the inhabitants, and a search made for arms, with the result that 18 Senoussi prisoners... The patrol left Farafra on the 20th.

My evidence for the information in the Despatch being wrong - the following entries in a War Diary (WO 95/4427, HQ 4 Dismounted Bde, etc) :

17 Aug '16 – Bimbashi Jennings Bramly reports at HQ as Intelligence Officer.

11 Sep '16 – Bimbashi Jennings Bramly with 27 native guides and 31 camels arrives Shusha.

14 Oct '16 – Bimbashi Jennings Bramly, Major [?] and Lt Patterson with 25 men No 8 Company ICC and 14 WFF guides start reconnaissance to Farafra [from Baharia].

21 Oct '16 - Report received from Bimbashi Jennings Bramly. Patrol reached Farafra and captured 17 Senoussi, 12 rifles and 18camels.

24 Oct '16 – Bimbashi Jennings Bramly returns from Farafra [to Baharia]. No. 2 Light Car Patrol arrives.

And this from another War Diary:

19 Nov '16 – Light Car Patrol [presumably No. 2 above-mentioned] enters Farafra. Patrol leaves the next day.

No mention of the LCP taking prisoners. I'm fairly sure the Despatch writer has muddled the two events, and the mistake has been carried forward into the Official History.

Wilfred Jennings Bramly was given the MC for helping with the reoccupation of Baharia and leading the expedition to Farafra. He's often confused with his brother Alwyn, who also served in Egypt.

Regards,

Russell

Mate,

Thanks for the extra details on this operation.

Lt later Capt Paterson (I could find no refer to the spelling as Patterson) other then a MIC which has a Maj J Patterson in the Yeomanry?

I show him as

Paterson JJ Capt OC 8Co 9-16 to 4-18 Ex 2 Cof L Yeo transfered 5-10-16

I still ahave not confirmed his full name as yet?

Cheers

S.B

SB,

Thank you. You're absolutely right - OC No. 8 Coy ICC is Lt J.J. Paterson. Following the clues about this man in Geoffrey Inchbald's book, I've been able to identify him as 2/Lt John Johnstone Paterson, who took over as OC 8th Coy when Mason-Macfarlane was killed at Baharia Oasis in the summer of 1916. He survived WWI and it seems he was particularly lucky to survive WWII:

J J Paterson was Hong Kong taipan before and during World War II. A man full of humour and biblical quotations, he lived 'in the country' at Fanling, New Territories, where he made a fine garden. His father a descendant of William Jardine's sister Jean, had been a partner from 1875, and shipped much tea for the firm from Foochow in the 1870s; his brother, E A Paterson, became head of Jardine Skinner in Calcutta.

...J J Paterson, who commanded the veteran volunteers defending the North Point Power Station [in Hong Kong]. With others he became a prisoner of war, emerging in 1945, a gaunt, khaki-clad figure, to reopen the office with D L Newbigging and other internees who had walked in from Stanley Camp before any of those still free could get to Hong Kong.

An interesting man! The following website confirms the identification and even mentions his service in the Camel Corps.

HKVDC - Hong Kong War Diary

HongKong War Diary. Hong Kong's Defenders, Dec 1941 - Aug 1945 ..... Paterson, John Johnstone [70] Major Commanding ...

www.hongkongwardiary.com/searchgarrison/hkvdc.html

Regards,

Russell