Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt. C.I. Carryer, Royal Flying Corps - Killed Accidentally

Jim_Grundy

We often see the briefly recorded details of a man who died in a flying accident on this Forum. I came across a story yesterday of one such individual, Charles Ivan Carryer, who succumbed to injuries after crashing shortly after taking off on a windy day in Nottinghamshire on 13th August 1916.

I've transcribed the report of the subsequent inquest, in which his commanding officer, one Captain Arthur Travers Harris, gave evidence.

“YOUNG PILOT’S TERRIBLE END.

“Tragedy of a Sunday Trip Army Aeroplane.

“FELL NEAR NOTTINGHAM

“Eye-witness’s Story at the Inquest This Afternoon.

“The inquest on Acting-Flight-Commander Charles Ivan Carryer, the victim of the shocking air tragedy, which occurred near Gunthorpe on Sunday afternoon, was held at Nottingham General Hospital this afternoon by Mr. F.W. Rothera, the Deputy-City Coroner.

“The deceased, who was nearly 19 years of age, was the son of Mr. C.H. Carryer, of Hampton House, Leicester. The Deputy Coroner explained at the outset that on Sunday the deceased, who was stationed in Warwickshire, left the depot intending to fly to Leicester. Apparently he got out of his bearings and descended near Gunthorpe. He appeared in starting again not to have risen sufficiently high to clear a building, with the result that his machine struck it and fell to the ground. The petrol fired, and deceased received serious injuries. He was brought to the Nottingham General Hospital, where he died two hours later.

“Passed Over his Brother.

“The first witness was Second-Lieutenant Nigel Rupert Carryer, R.M., deceased’s brother, who stated that deceased had intimated to him his intention to fly to Leicester on Sunday and alight in Western Park. Witness was there to meet him, and about five minutes to one an aeroplane passed over the park and disappeared in the clouds in the direction of Melton.

“About five o’clock witness was told his brother had had a mishap. He added that he had no complaint to make against anyone. His brother was flying on duty, and for his own convenience wished to descend at Leicester. He understood that the machine was the best in the squadron.

“Police-constable Cleal, of East Bridgford, said he saw an aeroplane passing over about 1.30 on Sunday. The aviator seemed to be in trouble, and witness thought he was coming down. He went to a spot near Trent side, and saw deceased, who asked to be directed to Leicester. The aviator then restarted his machine, and flew over the Trent very low – not more than 50 feet above the ground.

“Machine in Flames.

“I watched him for a couple of minutes,” witness went on, “and all of a sudden he struck something. The next thing I saw was a cloud of smoke. He was then about 300 yards away. I got on my bicycle and cycled to the spot. I then found he had struck a loft at the top of a cowshed. The machine was lying on the ground in flames.” Dr. Duff, of East Bridgford, and Dr. Brooks, of Lowdham, were sent for, and ordered the injured man’s removal to the hospital.

“Witness added that when he spoke to deceased on the Trent side the latter said he was all right, but had lost his bearings. There was a strong wind blowing at the time.

“Save Me.”

“John Bradwell, of Gunthorpe, who was the first to arrive at the scene of the accident, said he found the airman on his hands and knees, he apparently having crawled several feet away from the machine. Witness spoke to him, asked him his name, but all he could say was, “Save me” several times. Another man came up, and he and witness carried the airman into the neighbouring field.

“Another eye-witness said that the propeller struck the top of the bard and went through the wall into the building.

“The injured man was brought to the hospital in Mr. Gregory’s car. He was semi-conscious, but could give no account of the accident.

“Captain Arthur Travers Harris, of the Royal Flying Corps, said he had know deceased since his learning to fly, and he always considered him a very good pilot. He had given him permission to use this particular machine, which was of a new type, when he liked. It was considered one of the safest types, and it had been tested the day before the accident.

“Lost Control.

“After questioning the police-constable, Captain Harris said it was quite obvious that Lieutenant Carryer lost control of the machine. What caused him to lose control he could not say. It was a very gusty day, and he considered it most likely that the airman was trying to turn when a gust of wind me the machine and “dipped” it to such an extent that he was unable to recover control before it hit the house.

“The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death,” and found that no blame attached to anyone. They expressed their sympathy with the relatives of the deceased.”

Charles Carryer is buried in Leicester (Welford Road) Cemetery.

How terribly sad. Another waste of a young life.

If you would like a picture of Charles please PM me.

Susan

PMd back

and

emailed.

You are very welcome.

Susan

As well a reporting the accident and the inquest in earlier magazines, Flight covered the funeral, including a photograph of the procession, Here &

Here

NigelS

Just to tidy up the account, 2Lt C I Carryer of No 5 Reserve Sqn RFC was killed while flying BE12 6155 on 13 August 1916.

RIP

Gareth

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am currently working on a commemoration project to remember those on the WWI memorial at St James the Greater Church, Leicester. Charles Ivan Carryer is one of those on the memorial and I have been searching the local records office and online and this post came through my search. I have found much in the local papers at the time accounting his crash and subsequent passing, including portraits of him and more photos of the large funeral procession that followed him to Welford Road Cemetry. I have also been in touch with his family members who know very little about Charles.

How would I find out, or would anyone happen to know, whereabouts his Squadron was based? Everywhere simply mentions Warwickshire and I am at a loss as to where to search next.

Hope someone can help! Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Just found out this young man is related to me through my maternal Grandmother, Ida Carryer. Amazed at the information contained in this section, thank you

Hi,

in touch with his family members who know very little about Charles.

How would I find out, or would anyone happen to know, whereabouts his Squadron was based? Everywhere simply mentions Warwickshire and I am at a loss as to where to search next.

Hope someone can help! Thanks.

I missed your message when you first posted. No 5 Reserve Squadron was formed at Castle Bromwich, and remained there until 12 December 1917, when it moved to Wyton.

I hope this belated reply helps.

Gareth

Me too. Very interesting and sad - and of course the Captain Arthur Travers Harris went on to become better known as "Bomber" Harris. Does anyone know how long he (Harris) was with No.5 RS? Just wondering if I can add him to the list of future AVMs (or above) my grandfather may have encountered! He had learnt to fly on Farmans with No.5 RS at Castle Bromwich back in May/June.

So it would appear that "acting flight commander" Carryer, who had started to fly at Upavon in October 1915, was an instructor? Odd they don't mention that.

Piers

• 2 years later...

SUSANHEMMINGS

Hi -  I have just spent the morning walking around the Welford Road Cemetery (in the snow!) and found the grave of 2nd Lt Charles Ivan Carryer, and on getting home found this old thread about him.

It has so much information and is just what i was looking for.

I wonder if your offer of a photo of him is still possible?

MY email details are: paulbardell55@hotmail.com.

Many Thanks and very best regards

Paul Bardell

Leicester.:poppy:   

Royal Aero Club Aviators Certificate No. 2749, Charles Ivan Carryer - includes a photo -

Born:  15 September 1897 at Leicester

Rank or Profession:  2nd Lieut. East Yorkshire Regt.

Certificate taken on:  Maurice Farman Biplane

At:  The Military School, Farnborough

Date:  11th October 1915

Killed:  13/8/16 at East Bridgford, Nr. Leicester

Casualty Card :

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/pages/raf_vault.php?RAF-titel=Carryer&RAF-titel=Carryer%2C C.I&van=1

JP

2 hours ago, helpjpl said:

Royal Aero Club Aviators Certificate No. 2749, Charles Ivan Carryer - includes a photo -

Born:  15 September 1897 at Leicester

Rank or Profession:  2nd Lieut. East Yorkshire Regt.

Certificate taken on:  Maurice Farman Biplane

At:  The Military School, Farnborough

Date:  11th October 1915

Killed:  13/8/16 at East Bridgford, Nr. Leicester

Casualty Card :

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/pages/raf_vault.php?RAF-titel=Carryer&RAF-titel=Carryer%2C C.I&van=1

JP

He was actually  be quite an experienced pilot having qualified 10 months previously.

31032_A200030-00036.jpg