Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcard on auction site

Rockdoc

There's a postcard for sale on that well-known auction site that might be of interest to one of our band. The caption printed on it says that it's a view of Salonika but it seems a bit rural to me. Any thoughts, anyone?

Keith

Yes Keith. The old city walls are still there, and of course it was more rural before the urban sprawl.

Is it looking from inside the city to the outside, then, Kate? Any ideas on the direction?

Keith

It was probably taken from the dome or roof of the Monastery of the Vlatades (Μονή Βλατάδων - Moni Vlatadon, Google Earth/Maps 40.6417 22.9540), looking ENE towards the Citadel ("Yedi Kule"/Heptapyrgion/Seven Towers). Make sure you've got 3D buildings turned on in Google Earth!

Interesting fact no.94: The monastery, founded in the 14th Century by the Vlattis brothers from Crete, continued to flourish under Turkish rule and was never "defaced" with a minaret - allegedly because the monks showed the Turks the best way in to capture the city in 1430... <_<

Adrian

Thanks, Adrian. I'm looking forward to my first sight of the city in May.

Whether the monks aided the Turks is probably impossible to say for sure but it's only human nature to be suspicious at what appears to be special treatment for the monastery!

Keith