Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

german uniform

stormtroop

hello,

I would like , eventually when I get round to it, do a 1/72 scale diorama of german stromtroops, I can not get a handle on the colour "feldgrau", just what colour is it??, grey, green , a mixture of both?.

can someone help.

thanks .

Hi,

basically is is 'field grey' but the actual consistency of the dye's on the wool used for making uniformas varied widely from very light to nearly gunmetal from tailor to tailor, mill to mill, state to tstte and of course as the war progressed components for the dye.

look here for modelling information: http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Enamel/Model-Master/International-Military/German-Uniform-Feldgrau/German-Uniform-Feldgrau.html

• 2 weeks later...

Just like RAF blue it appears to have subtly changed with time. Moreover as Scott M points out it could very depending on where and when the uniform was dyed (and how often it had been cleaned). From memory one or more of the early Airfix magazines did cover the subject (mine are all in boxes in an unlit loft over my garage!). Try contacting the British Model Soldier Society - they're a friendly lot (at least they used to be when I was Midlands Branch rep) and some one there is sure to have researched the subject in incredible nerdish detail.

It would be interesting to see how 'uniform' colours were specified to manufacturers and suppliers of military equipment and clothing. Dye mixes no doubt varied, and the uptake of dye by different materials would also vary. Another field subject to similar variation is flags. The Flag Institute today provides Pantone and/or RAL colour references for 'new' examples of particular flag designs on 'standard' materials, but results still vary widely, particularly on 'non-standard' materials — and weathered flags go their own way. I would assume that a lot of WW1 production depended on trial, error and inspection/acceptance.