Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aussie Jew in Palestine

stevenbecker

Mates,

For those interested in this area I found some nice documents relating to a Palestine Jew who came from Russia lived in Palestine went to Austrlaia return with the LH then took his disch in Palestine.

There are a number of Documents requesting this discharge from Jewish leaders in Rehoboth (Dieran) Palestine which may interest someone here?

Check out the Service record of this soldier;

HARLAP Lion 1098 Pte 10 LHR 7R to AProvC 5-16 Tos C Sqn? 6-16 to T/Cpl att 3 LH Bde HQ 7-16 rtn 9-16 to AProvC Cairo 12-16 to Anzac MD HQ 7-17 to A/Cpl GS (Intell) GHQ 11-17 rtn AProvC Anzac MD 3-18 to ADS 11-18 disch parents live in Rehoboth (Dieran) Palestine born Odessa Russia AKA Leon Harlap

Fitter 21 Perth WA and Rehoboth Palestine

Enlisted 8-3-15 disch in Egypt 29-2-19

Cheers

S.B

I note that there is also a record from 1934 there (for naturalisation). He apparently returned to Australia in the 1930s and there is a request in the documents from the early 1960s from the Repat Commission for information (probably for a service pension ie age grounds).

Document 32 of his records (Conditions Governing a Discharge in a country other than in Australia) has the earliest mention of Australian Citizenship that I have seen - it predates the creation of such an identity by some 29 years!

Unusual to take discharge in the ME but there a number who discharged in the UK - some to re-enlist for Russia.....

Mate,

I record a small number of men took their discharge in Egypt, for a number of reasons;

First - they were after jobs in Egypt, I have a small number who joined the Cairo Policem or or other jobs like working for a POL compnay.

Others took up appointments to the Egypt Govt.

Second - They were after work in Palestine for the Govt or in other cases return to family in Palestine.

Thirdly - they took their discharge in Egypt to travel to the UK, possibly due to their failure to get leave to UK, as I have many men who traveled to the UK for discharge from Egypt.

Here are some of them

ANDREWS Lewis Yelland 705 Pte 01 LHR 2R NTOS to A/CQMS ACo/CTC MID prom 2/Lt disch to Egyptian CTC to Capt RASC later District Govt in Syria and Palestine 1921 OBE assassinated in 1937 (ASqn CMF)

ATKINSON Gilbert Wardhaugh 994A Pte 11 LHR 4R to A Sqn C Troop att 02 LHR (G) to YMCA AIF HQ disch to work for YMCA in UK and USA

BEDSER Wilfrid Harold 751 Sgt 11 LHR 1R to B Sqn att 05 LHR to C Sqn att 02 LHR (G) rtn B Sqn WIA 19-4-17 at 2nd Gaza to SSM B Sqn (AGA to Inf CMF) disch as Head Constable Cairo Police AKA Wilfred Harold Bedsor brother Gilbert Lt 26Bn

BRADSTREET Harold Albert 52663 Pte 2 GSR Qld to APayC AIF HQ disch to be sub editor on the newspaper "Egyptian Mail"

BROME Gary Hudson 3274 Pte ICC 12R to 17Co/4Bn ICC 12-17 to Spr 5 LH Sig Troop 10-18 disch to join American Red Cross (US Army 13th US Inf Regt 18 months)

CAMPBELL Walter Malcolm 3710 Pte 6 LHR 34R to C Sqn C Troop disch in Egypt to travel with mother to France brother KIA in France

CHAPMAN Robert Wren 115 Pte 12 LHR A Sqn A Troop att BSqn/01 LHR (G) to 2/Cpl 4 LH FTE 2 LH FSE disch rtn to Muizenberg Sth Africa brother in SAMF

GODBOLD George 1934 Pte ICC 8R to BSqn/11 LHR 5-17 to DMC rest camp 10-18 married local girl (Lena Boutros) at Port Said 17-2-19 and worked with British Coaling Co

JENKINS Robert Stewart Lt 12Bn 11R to ICC to Egyptian Army as Camel Purchase officer Sudan to disch appointed to Egyptian Dept of Mines (Boer War Imperial Yeomanry)

LOVE Alan Joseph Maj 10 LHR RHQ 2ic WIA 7-8-15 minor at the Nek (G) RTA 6 months leave reemb 15R to chief instructor HQ A&NZTC 7-16 att 2 LHTR to DMC HQ 10-17 to Anzac MD HQ 6-18 rtn DMC HQ 8-18 to DMC Reinf camp Beirut 10-18 disch civilian employment in Haifa (Lt 1Sqn/18 LH 25-11-03 to Capt 21-7-05 to Maj 9-2-07 to CO LtCol RHQ 5-10-08-10 to RofO 1-1-11 CMF 12 years) brother Edwin SSM 10 LHR

Just to name a few

S.B