Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Memorial Cross

stephen p nunn

We were at an antiques centre in Suffolk last week and I noticed a silver Canadian Memorial Cross for sale. The man mentioned on the reverse is on the Vimy Memorial. I was fascinated by the object but couldn't run to the £175 that they wanted for it. I have since tried to search for a more reasonable one to buy over the internet but without luck. Can anyone tell me anything about this medal, how reasonable (or not) the price is and where they can be purchased?

Thanks all.

SPN

Maldon

The famous internet auction site has a few on , normally around £245-00.

There are a few copies around so need to beware. If it was OK then was a good price.

Tony

There are a few copies around so need to beware. If it was OK then was a good price.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Kind of you to reply. Makes me want to buy the Suffolk example!

Best regards.

SPN

maldon

Here's an auction that ended a few weeks ago:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u..._fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Thanks Ken - the link doesn't seem to open?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

The Canadian Memorial Cross was issued to the wife and/or mother of Canadian casualties (i.e. no mother or wife - no Cross), including cases where death was attributable to wounds or sickness during service. In some cases this means that an EIIR Cross was issued.

Conversely, there are GVR Crosses issued to Second War casualties (until supplies ran out).

SInce many of the CEF were British-born, it was not unusual for their mothers to still be in the U.K.

The Canadian Memorial Cross was issued to the wife and/or mother of Canadian casualties (i.e. no mother or wife - no Cross), including cases where death was attributable to wounds or sickness during service. In some cases this means that an EIIR Cross was issued.

Conversely, there are GVR Crosses issued to Second War casualties (until supplies ran out).

SInce many of the CEF were British-born, it was not unusual for their mothers to still be in the U.K.

Fascinating. Thanks Michael.

SPN

Maldon

Tony

That estimate may be a little high. The latest Memorial Cross in my collection, to a soldier of The RCR (which is usually considered a "collectible" regiment), was acquired for $141 Cdn (GBP 88). Another in my collection, to a Military Medal recipient, was acquired for $278 Cdn (GBP 167) with about five other bidders involved.

While many factors such as the soldier, his story, and unit, etc., will affect price, the current issue of the Medal Yearbook offers a price range of "from GBP 100" for GvR Memorial Crosses.

That estimate may be a little high. The latest Memorial Cross in my collection, to a soldier of The RCR (which is usually considered a "collectible" regiment), was acquired for $141 Cdn (GBP 88). Another in my collection, to a Military Medal recipient, was acquired for $278 Cdn (GBP 167) with about five other bidders involved.

While many factors such as the soldier, his story, and unit, etc., will affect price, the current issue of the Medal Yearbook offers a price range of "from GBP 100" for GvR Memorial Crosses.

Many thanks friend. The trouble is I just haven't seen many of them over here. I am very tempted by the one I saw in Suffolk.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

I think the price differances quoted are down to availability, You would imagine it would be cheaper to buy a GVR Mothers cross in Canada than in the UK.

I personally brought one 8 years ago whose family came from Shrewsbury, Shropshire, at the time I paid 90 pounds so with the way prices have gone 150+ would be a reasonable buy, I think.

I have bought 2 in the last 6 months the first one local militaria dealer £90 the second internet militaria dealer £125 (this man named on Vimy Memorial) so they are about if you look but do vary in price.

I also have another i bought a year or so ago off E-bay in case of issue £88 i couldn't find him on any memorial but later discovered he died in 1928 from TB. I managed to obtain his attestation papers and trace a family memember who provided me with copy photo's of the soldier in uniform so knew he had served as correctly named and numbered on the reverse of the cross so therefore presumed the TB was attributed to wartime service.

How long after the war did they present the memorial cross to the mothers / wives, was there a cut off date ?

Regards Harley1962

How long after the war did they present the memorial cross to the mothers / wives, was there a cut off date ?

Regards Harley1962

See my reply above. You can find Elizabeth II Crosses for First War Veterans, so long as they died as a result of wounds or illness received 1914-18.

• 6 years later...