Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)

pgarwood

I am trying to establish what the 22nd Battalion was doing around this date as it is the date of a casualty in our local church. He had quite a chequred past and fell from officer sttaus to a Lance-corporal. However I am wondering what action led to his death on the 11th Nov 1916.

Any experts on the 22nd who can help or at least point me to a source of information.

Peter

Since October 16th 1916,, 47th Division was in the Bluff-Hill 60 sector south of Ypres.

From the divisional history,

the Divisional front was relatively

narrow, extending from the Ypres-Comines Canal (exclusive) on

the right (Bluff sector) to the Zwarteleen Spur, north of the Ypres-

Comines railway (inclusive) on the left (Hill 60 sector), a frontage of

2,300 yards.

This required a garrison of two brigades, with four battaions for

the front and support lines in the Bluff, Ravine, Verbrandenmolen

and Hill 60 sub-sectors, with two battalions in local reserve at

railway dugouts and Woodcote House, and two farther back at

Swan Chateau and Halifax Camp, the remaining brigade being out

of the line in Ottawa, Devonshire, Ontario, and Vancouver camps.

The front line from the right included the large group of mining

craters, mostly of enemy origin, at the end of the cutting that

carried the Canal across the ridge, the earth embankment (or Bluff)

being tunnelled to provide covered communication with the craters

and dugout accommodation for part of the garrison.

To the north the line, partly breastwork, partly trench, con-

tinued just below the crest in front of the Ravine and the wrecked

village of Verbrandenmolen to the second cutting through the ridge

through which the railway ran. The left was overlooked and in

places enfiladed or taken in reverse by the low eminence of Hill 60,

which was in enemy hands. In spite of the greatest care, casualties

were constantly occurring from enemy snipers.

North of the railway the defences were of a most elaborate nature,

as great mining activity had been going on for twelve months, and

we had now a very large mine dug right under the hill and ready

for the coming Battle of Messines.

I put a passage in bold above - I do not have the 22nd Bn war diary, but I do not think there was a specific action on 11th November 1916.

Hugh

the 22nd were at the Somme during November 1916.

the Battalion diary states that from the period 9th November 1916 to 12th November 1916 that the Battalion remained at Acheux Wood. The entry for 11th November 1916 states simply:

`The Battalion remained at Acheux Wood.`

Could he have died of wounds as on the 5th Nov when they were in the Redan sub-sector with the 23rd R F and 1st Royal Berks the diary mentions 1 OR killed and one wounded? No other mention of casualties at all until the 13th.

I wonder if he was killed by sniping?

the Battalion diary states that from the period 9th November 1916 to 12th November 1916 that the Battalion remained at Acheux Wood. The entry for 11th November 1916 states simply:

`The Battalion remained at Acheux Wood.`

Could he have died of wounds as on the 5th Nov when they were in the Redan sub-sector with the 23rd R F and 1st Royal Berks the diary mentions 1 OR killed and one wounded? No other mention of casualties at all until the 13th.

No actual mention of snipers, looking back in the diary I see that on the 20 October shellfire damaged some dugouts 11 men were buried alive - 8 were got out, 6 alive 2 dead. Of the 6, 2 were wounded, 2 with shell-shock and 2 with bruises.

5 others from a Lewis Gun unit in A Company were wounded by shell fire near the Sugar Factory while marching - one other from D Co wounded that day also.

Thank you for that information.

I have another one that intrigues me from this unit.

Name: BURCHARDT-ASHTON

Initials: A E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 22nd

Secondary Regiment: Durham Light Infantry

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/07/1916

Service No: 8219

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 15.

Cemetery: LA LAITERIE MILITARY CEMETERY

I have some 100 A4 sheets of information and pictures of this man.

Can anyone explain what it means by Secondary Regiment?"Durham Light Infantry"

And what sort of actions were taking place on the 11th July 1916 that may have caused his death.

Any help appreciated immensely.

Peter

No specific action on the 11th July 1916.

On the 9th July 1916. The Battalion was relieved from the trenches at Berthonval having being relieved by the 1st Royal Berks and then proceeded to Camblain Labbe until the 13th July when they returned to Bertonval (Berthonval?- handwriting giving different spelling for the same place.)

The wounded casualties for ordinary ranks in the period to 6th to 9th July 1916 were

6th - 2

7th - 6

8th - 1

9th - 1

was your chap born in Hawaii that had an aviator certificate dated 16 April 1912? . If it is, his Aviator records have him as a Lt in the 4th Dragoon Guards with him being killed in action on 10th July 1916. Very unusual name to have two different people with the same name killed a day apart.

Thank you,

I have researched this chap ad infinitum and the only missing piece is his death.

He was a hero in his day, Royal Humane Society medals, Climbing the Matterhorn, trying to join shackleton on his expedition.

Yes he was in the army and became a flyer but was forced to resign amid scandal at Brooklands involving flying and whisky!

He was reenlisted in the Dragon Gurads prior to WWI. He resigned his commision from this and joined up as an oridinary private becoming a Lance-corporal.

THis is what he was on beinmg killed.

His headstone CWGC shows Royal Fusilers but the CWGC says secondary regiment Durham Light Infantry!!(What does that mean??)

Ther was only one person of this name and ther is obviously some confusion over his records.

Any help appreciated!

Peter

No specific action on the 11th July 1916.

On the 9th July 1916. The Battalion was relieved from the trenches at Berthonval having being relieved by the 1st Royal Berks and then proceeded to Camblain Labbe until the 13th July when they returned to Bertonval (Berthonval?- handwriting giving different spelling for the same place.)

The wounded casualties for ordinary ranks in the period to 6th to 9th July 1916 were

6th - 2

7th - 6

8th - 1

9th - 1

was your chap born in Hawaii that had an aviator certificate dated 16 April 1912? . If it is, his Aviator records have him as a Lt in the 4th Dragoon Guards with him being killed in action on 10th July 1916. Very unusual name to have two different people with the same name killed a day apart.

Hi Peter,

The bloke you mention in your original question sounds interesting, can you share his name with us?

Des

He was Alexander Ernest Burchardt-Ashton, I have studied him for 10 years in total and ahve amassed every known fact except the likeloy scenario at his death.

It is problematical as the CWGC lists him as RF yet states his secondary regiment was DLI. However I cannot get a firm answer at to what that means. I have been given several answers all conflicting.

Fascinating chap.

He was Alexander Ernest Burchardt-Ashton, I have studied him for 10 years in total and ahve amassed every known fact except the likeloy scenario at his death.

It is problematical as the CWGC lists him as RF yet states his secondary regiment was DLI. However I cannot get a firm answer at to what that means. I have been given several answers all conflicting.

Fascinating chap.

His medal card is available from the NA under the name of Alexander Ashton and shows he was in the Royal Fusiliers with a regimental No of PS/8219. This is a 20th Battalion (Public Schools) No, but in my copy of the Kensingtons (22nd RF) history it shows him in A Company in 1916.

Have you looked at the war diary for 7 Durham Light Infantry? Appears he may have been with that unit when he died.

Thank you do you think that is what "Secondary Regiment" means?

No one has been able to confirm that.

I have not looked at the War diaries for 7th DLI.

Peter

Peter the reference at Kew for the diary is

WO 95/2823 for the 1/7 DLI

it seems the 1st and 7th merged in December 1915 as the entry for the 7th only has the period April to Nov 1915.

• 8 months later...
Guest mariannepiper

Alexander Ernest Burchardt-Ashton is remembered on our village war memorial in Llandogo, Monmouthshire. I am presently researching all the men on the memorial but because he is listed as A.E.Ashton on the memorial I have struggled to find any info on him. However, his grandaughter came to the remembrance service today and was able to fill me in a little - and add his full surname! I am now in contact with her and wondered if you would share any of your information about him with me for my church and war memorial archives, and also to pass onto his grandaughter. Thanks so much.

• 2 years later...

Trying to establish what 22nd Battalion were doing around 17th February 1917, in researching death of Charles Richard Payne.

Appreciate any info.

• 4 years later...

29th April 1917, I believe that the 22nd were in the Oppy area just outside of Arras.

My wife lost her Gt Grandfather on this date and as far as I can see from the diary entries this seems to be the place.