Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment

The Monkey God

Hi Guys,

Can anyone with an interest in the 2nd Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment, help me out?

I`m trying to find out when the Regiment sailed from India, I believe they landed in France in December 1914, having sailed on the RMS Ultonia.

On the (5th November 1914) they lost a man drowned who is commemorated in India. I believe he may have been the first casualty the battalion sustained?

They returned to India in 1919, which might explain why he is commemorated in India, but am curious to know where he drowned, Whether in the Arabian Ocean or in a river whilst en route to Bombay from Kamptee.

Can anyone help?

Gordon.

Hi

According to Westlake they did not land in France until 16 January 1915.

see http://www.1914-1918.net/eastyorks.htm

(They landed in England in December 1914.)

So perhaps he was lost on the voyage here.

Regards,

Graeme

Many thanks Graeme. I believe now, this may indeed be the case, but it is curious that the CWGC have commorated him in India? I`ll continue trying to unravel this mystery........

Hi Gordon

According to SDGW he died in India, it does not mention 'drowned'.

Graeme

Accompanying the lot, is a letter to his next of kin written by a Capt dated the 1st December 1914, telling them that he had accidentally drowned. Given the time lapse from his death and the writing of the letter it would appear that he must have fallen over board perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon,

According to the shipping records 2 E. Kent and 2 E. Yorkshire embarked on Ultonia (shows Bultonia for the name of the ship but I think that's a mistake) on the19th of November (at Bombay) and arrived at Plymouth on the 22nd of December, so if the man drowned on 5th November it must have been on the trip to Bombay?

Regards,

Dave