Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wieltje - Ypres Tramline Oct 1917 - Passchendaele

jacksdad

Hi Everyone

The New Zealand Medical Corps history records a tramline that was used to evacuate the wouded, the route of the tramline that ran from Wieltje through to Vlamertinghe. The route is recorded as going around the north side of Ypres as such Bridge house - Wieltje station, Kaaje ( Known as Dead End) - Vlamertinghe Mill. I know the location (guessimate on the Mill) of these but would someone have a map showing the actual route.

all i have is the attached map snippet from the forum.

Another tramline or second route went through Ypres the history records " a half ambulance train was run into Ypres during the forenoon, the first to arrive there since 1914, it took away 200 wounded from the southern battlefield" i wonder if this is the tramline seen in some photos of the Menin Gate?

I have tried other sources - such as Mcmasters but had no luck, can anyone advise or have maps that would show the tramline route?

I note also that the history refers to deep dugouts at Wieltje, in "which stretchers could be lowered by ropes" does anyone know the location?

thanks for your help and interest

Roger

post-60057-0-15016300-1298767342.jpg

Roger,

I have a trench map St. Julien, 28 N.W. 2, Edition 3E, trenches corrected to 9.9.16.

No railroads on it.

Bit I also have the trench map St Julien, 28 N.W. 2, Edition 6a, trenches corrected to 13.5.18

I can indeed see the railroad, more west of the map extract you posted.

I also have two maps (no real trench maps), one 30 April 1917 and one 31 May 1917. Strangely enough they show the line, but just a little (some 200 meters more north). There the line is called : La Belle Alliance Tram line.

Anyway : the line, for the stretch Wieltje west to the east bank of the canal, was almost exactly where now the northern ringroad (express road) north of Ypres is (Noorderring N38). Where it crosses the canal is where now Essex Farm Cemetery is, and the John McCrae site (you may have heard or seen these names : on the road Ieper (Ypres) - Boezinge (and Diksmuide).

Should you want me to send you photos of the part of my maps, could you let me know what your e-mail address is (via PM) ? (Right now I cannot scan, and I would have to take photos, which would have a too high resolution to post them).

As to the deep dug-out ... Yes, there were a couple of them in the area. And I am proud I can say I was in one of them a couple of times, 10 and more years ago. But that was the one north of it. In Boezinge.

Aurel

In the later years of the war there was a whole network of standard gauge railways and narrow gauge tramways. It would have been possible to travel from Wieltje to Vlamertinghe via a standard gauge line that travelled through a rail hub to the north of St Jean (between Irish Farm where a CWGC is now located and Burnt Farm). From there it joined the main route leading south into Ypres. Just north of Ypres the line took a chord to Boesinghe Point Jcn and continued to Vlamertinghe on the Poperinge line.

There was an alternative route using the tram or light railway lines. This route initially followed the road as far as St Jean Farm, NW of the X roads and church in St Jean, passed to the south of Outskirt Farm, passed north of the town of Ypres and headed through Canadian Sidings and Atherley Jcn (both north of the Ypres - Poperinge Road and the standard gauge line). At Vlamertinghe it made an interchange with the standard gauge lines.

An alternative light railway route left the previous route at St Jean and the went south to north of Potijze where is curved south west and headed towards Ypres. This route also skirted Ypres and connected with the previous route prior to Canadian Sidings.

The Trench map extract shows the standard gauge line (to the north) and the light rail lines as they divert to follow their respective routes.

I do have the trench maps but the routes cover 3 maps and what with the size limitations, it may be difficult to post the whole of the routes whilst showing the detail needed.

The tramway under the Menin Gate connected up with the old Vicinal Line along the Menin Road (see below) as well as another WD line which went south of the Ecole. From the maps I have it doesn't appear to connect with the above routes such that the casualities would be taken via the Menin Gate.

Whilst on the subject. The Vicinal Tramways also served Ypres and travelled along the Menin Road and can be seen in some photos. This route did not go through the Menin Gate but skirted the town passing Dixmude Gate and north of the Gendarmery. It then passed NW of the prison to reach the Railway Station. A branch line ran to outside the Cathedral. Much of the Vicinal network around Ypres was out of use during the war for civilian travellers as it crossed the front line but stretches on both sides were maintained. Alternative routes were also constructed by the French/Belgiums and British to connect up towns previously connected but necessarily by somewhat more convoluted routes.

Bernard

hi Aurel

thanks have sent you an email, i would be very interested in the maps you refer too

thanks roger

Excellent thanks Bernard for the details

Do you have a map that shows the lines and are you able to post or email it too me?

Thanks roger