Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

commemorations

W.J.Caughey

Hi, hope i am in the right topic, i have a possible wrong name for L/Cpl 64342 William James Addley. R.E. In CWGC. SDGW,MIC. etc. Pension Papers. But with newspaper reports and these URLs i have posted the name is Audley, i am only asking opinions on would it reilly matter, like if the deased family maybe before or later inquire about him, so is it worth while dropping the CWGC a letter, or would more proof be needed.

Kind regards W.J

1915 Belfast Street Directory. Wm Audley 5 Majestic Street

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__George_s/Donegall_Road/162654/

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=william+james&gsln=addley&gskw=64342+royal+engineers&sbo=0&uidh=h0f&pcat=39&h=18377&db=BritishArmy&indiv=1

Hello W J,

I think you are going to need more proof.

As I understand it, his death certificate would normally be required. Looking at the GRO index, this is also in the name of Addley. Also, he has clearly signed his name as Addley on his Attestation Form. Have you found proof of his birth as Audley? (I don't know where to start with Irish birth registration).

Phil

Hi Phil, no birth proof, just the link i posted to the Irish national archives comfirming him and his family as Audley, the street directory, and the couple of newspaper reports with the name Audley that he was buried with full military honours,

my thinking on it was maybe just maybe an amended saying also known by the name Audley, like they would do medal cards etc.

Kind regards Walter

Also, he has clearly signed his name as Addley on his Attestation Form.

I believe that this will be regarded as the end of the matter. Whatever his name may have actually been, he chose to serve as Addley and that is how he will be commmemorated by the Commission.

Hi john, forgive me i thought the link i sent was just pension papers filled out by personal, and didnt see any signature by Addley,

and why when a soldier enlisted under a wrong name they amended the name. just asking and may i add the CWGC have done and still do great job.

Kind regards W.J.Caughey.

I've just scanned through some of his service record (as opposed to the pension record) and his wife filled in Army Form W5080 as Addley, so I should think that's conclusive, I'm afraid.

Phil

Hi everyone, thank you.

Kind regards W.J.Caughey.