Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patteren 68 Lance Head & Butt

Arnhem44

Hi all,recently I bought a pattern 68 lance head and butt dated 1917 minus the pennon and lance pole.Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction where I could find information about the dimensions and length of both the pennon and pole,the material used and some sketches and photos maybe if possible.I believe this is an Indian marked lance.Thank in advance.

Brendan

I also have a Lance Head & Butt, and wondered if they were WW1 British ?

I have just posted their photo with dimensions on the Forum for help.

Do you have any idea, and are they the same as your's ?

Hi there,the one I have is different.I have attached an image below which I hope has come out.There was another pattern 85 which was British but in truth I don't know anything about these.

Regards

Brendan

WW1_Dated_Lance_Head_Butt_017.jpg

They look similar, but not the same.

I have posted my photos on the Forum, hopefully someone will know.

Many thanks for the reply.

My brother did find this image earlier on but I don't know where from so if it's breaking any rules then Mods by all means delete it.

Regards

Brendan

Lance_Measurements.jpg

I once owned a Patt.1885 lance. The only difference from the Patt. 1868 as used in the Great War that I noted was that the shaft was made from oiled ash rather than male bamboo. It was introduced because there were cases of some insect boring into the bamboo which weakened it but externally left only a tiny hole; easily concealed by dishonest contractors. SW

Hello Brendan.

The only time I seen one of these sets here in Ireland was in Monasterevan with King Edwards Horse. Would I be close?

Cheers.

Tom.

Thanks SW for that info,looking at the image looks like bamboo indeed for the shaft of the 68 pattern.Where I'm going to source something like that in Ireland is any one's guess :( .

Hello Tom,I remember being shown the lance head and butt by one of the lads from Monasterevan at the Kinsale Living History event,I believe from memory he got that in a car boot sale along with a spoon numbered to a soldier from the R.A but I may be wrong,the old memory plays tricks on me sometimes.This one came from Canada and this seller had three for sale,two complete lance head and butts and one just being the lance head itself.I would like to put it back together and make up the pennon and strap so will have to do some further searches on this one.Off topic I picked up your latest book,again well done on this one and look forward to the next one's.

regards

Brendan