Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible non-commemoration

W.J.Caughey

Hello Everyone, I have tried CWGC looking for this soldier, checked Irelands Casualties, and am hoping that the forum can help. the attached photos were in the Belfast Telegraph in Feb 1915. i need some help before taken it any further, mainly incase i have miss something, surely this soldier would be buried some were in Ireland if he died of wounds at home. Any helpful advice would be appreciate, especially if his resting place is found.

WJ

Hi, This is the other info.

post-64827-072380200 1298297191.jpg

post-64827-003681600 1298297247.jpg

WJ

I can't really help you a great deal but it looks as if your man was John Devlin, Royal Irish Fusiliers, Service No: 9261.

His MIC has him recorded as 'Died'. I have tried several variations but cannot come up with any CWGC entry.

Mel

Hi Mel, Thanks for taking time to look, its been baffling me for quite awhile now, and had'nt a clue what to do about.

WJ

Hi WJ

Lilke Mel, not a great deal of help but i did find something called the Armagh War Memorial Project which states that a John Devlin, a soldier of the Great War, 1st Battalion, RIF, is buried in Middletown Cemetery, which appears to be in Tynan Parish. Might be worth a look!

Regards

IanC

WJ

Ian's excellent lead looks very promising - a gravestone or a burial entry for the cemetery will provide you with the precise date of death and save a visit to the Belfast GRONI.

If you secure a copy Death Certificate which should confirm John's status as a serving soldier then he will be automatically entitled to CWGC commemoration.

Once you have the DC then contact Terry (Denham) who will put you on the right tracks.

Mel

Hi IanC, that seems a good lead, will check it out. Thanks.

WJ

At the bottom of the newspaper piece it states ".......and leaves a Widow and Child who reside in Shorncliffe", I reckon that will be Shorncliffe Camp near Folkstone which during WW1 had 2 Military Hospitals and a Cemetery which he's not listed in BTW, he may have been a patient in one of them with his Wife living nearby.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=40120&mode=1

Is there a SWB listing on his MIC? could he have been discharged and his death was unrelated to his wound? If that was the case he wouldn't have a CWGC entry or grave? I take it there's no date of death on the MIC?

Sam

Hi, am a member of Ancesty.com can i attach the MIC.

Sam

There is no reference to either a discharge or SWB on the 1914 Star MIC - John is simply recorded as 'Died'.

It seems from the newspaper that the probability is that the wounds were the cause of his death but, even if they were not, John would still be entitled to commemoration as a serving soldier.

Mel

Sorry Chaps i was a bit slow, you've given me more confidence already to go further with this.

WJ

Hi Chaps, Looks like a trip to Armagh soon for me. will let you know as soon , live in Belfast, sister lives down in Virgina Co Cavan. Thats the way i travel through Middletown so will check it out.

Many Thanks.

WJ

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

John Devlin is the one on http://www.armaghwarmemorial.com/view.asp?ID=70525 but he is not yet recognised by CWGC. We have already obtained his death certificate and he did die from war related wounds. His story board has not yet been written up as we are waiting confirmation from CWGC.

He is one of six non commemoration cases identified by the project which we have submitted, via the Ireland inspector for CWGC, and we are waiting their outcome on four (John Mullarchy - also Middletown and James Wilson, buried in Dundonald cemetery have already been accepted).

WJ

Out of curiosity what is you interest, do you have additional information on John, also what are the dates of the articles in the “Tele”?

Hi everyone. sorry for all the time and effort you have inputed to this thread,

i did have it on my website for many month's before i knew about this forum.

i have now asked Infromthecold project to cancel John's poss non-comm which they were undertaken on my behalf, and lets wish Arthur J and team all the best for John's apply.

Arthur, My interest in John started many years ago when i first started my project ,i have had John Devlin and many more similar case's in my database for a number of years and like i said on the thread was'nt sure were to take it, never heard about Infromthecold etc until joining forum. you do know his service no is 9261. Gave all i had to Infromthecold project including DC so if you Pm them im sure they will be happy to give you the details. and i see you now have the photo i posted http://armaghwarmemorial.com/view.asp?ID=70525 i just take photos mth by mtn so these articles were in Feb 1915, but if you need the day and page no for a purpose i will check and let you know the next time i am there.

goodluck Kind regards Walter.