Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Proficiency Pay Class I

jim_davies

Came across this reference in my great-granddad's service record.

Wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what proficiency pay was, especailly for a driver in the RFA.

Thanks,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

This is taken from The Kings Regulations for the Army and the Army Reserve, 1928. (Not exactly the right date, but not far off)

Ref Section VIII, para 744

(a) The general conditions of eligibility for proficiency pay are laid down in the Pay Warrant.

(B) The standards of proffessional and educational profficiency neccessary for the issue of proficency pay to a soldier, otherwise eligible. are, in the case of a soldier enlisted before 26th October 1925, that -

(1.) he has at least one year's service with the colours, excluding service as a boy.

(2.) he is certified by his CO to be in all respects a thoroughly trained and efficient soldier. (This qualification will include a satisfactory physical standard, and special qualifications according to the arm or branch to which the soldier belongs.)

(3.) he is on posssesion of a second class certificate of education

It goes on for a couple more pages detailing the ins and outs of what the rules pertaining to the pay were. Basically it was an incentive for a soldier to be efficient in his duties in whatever particular trade he held. It is also interesting to note that if the soldeir did not have the educational certificate, and later gained it, he could apply for provisional backdating of the pay from the date the certificate was atained.

I hope this is of some assistance.