Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3D Trench maps

Desmond7

WAW!!!

I've seen similar images to these before, and it's very impressive technology, but it strikes me as giving a false impression of heights and steepness of terrain though. It probably depends on how it's been programmed, but, to me, the images look rather exaggerated, with shallow dips looking like gorges and gentle slopes looking like Vimy Ridge!!!

I think I'll rely on my ability to read contours on the maps themselves, thanks!

Dave. :)

The 3-D view of Thiepval/Ancre Valley/Beaumont Hamel. It's of particular interest to me at this time of year. Does it look VERY out of proportion?

I'm not map friendly .... just main roads and motorways!

Des

The 3-D view of Thiepval/Ancre Valley/Beaumont Hamel. It's of particular interest to me at this time of year. Does it look VERY out of proportion?

Well, to be honest, to me it looks more like the Argonne without the trees rather than the Somme! :P

There are some quite steep slopes down to the Ancre, but I wouldn't have said it was in the proportion shown on the images.

Dave.

Guest Desmond6

Here's a 'big ask' - does anyone have a photograph of this particular area taken from the same position as the view on the website above?

Much appreciated if anyone has one/could do one!

Thanks all, Des

I have seen this site before.

Impressive though the images are, the site was last updated in 2002.

What has happened between then & now?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LoneHiker

Regarding the apparent steepness of terrain in the 3D representations, it's common to exaggerate the elevation scale, especially if the actual terrain is relatively flat. This makes it easier to see surface contours that would otherwise be rather subtle. Whether it was done deliberately or by error in this example, it does appear to be significantly distorted. In most cases it's easily adjusted in software.

Regards,

Lone

I have seen this site before.

Impressive though the images are, the site was last updated in 2002.

What has happened between then & now?

Well, nothing actually.

There is a note on the website suggesting that the author is waiting for inspiration about what to do with this technology. Maybe some Pals should be dropping him a line....

Interesting that this chap has managed to overlay GPS positioning onto the 10,000 scale trench maps on the IWM CD Rom. This apparently enables you to walk the areas concerned in France/Belgium and your own position is shown as a flashing cursor on a laptop screen displaying the trench map. Only accurate to 50 feet though. Would certainly be a useful tool - but I think the additional software costs are a bit steep