Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th battalion Hampshires

pioneer

Has anyone got the war diary for the 4th battalion Hampshire regiment please?

7728 Cpl William Charles Marshall.

If so would you be kind enough to see if there is any mention of this man:thumbsup:

I think he won it in 1918?

Go on, give us a clue. Won what?

There were two 4th battalions: the 1/4th and the 2/4th. The 1/4th went to India in late '14, then to persia, where they effectively spent the rest of the war.

The 2/4th also went to India, but then on to Palestine in mid-'17, then to France in mid-'18.

I have a copy of The History of the Hampshire Territorial Force Asscoiation and War Record of Units 1914-1919, which has brief records of both battalions. It also has award details for officers, but only numbers of gongs awarded for o.r.s.

Forum member Marc Thompson is the man for Hampshire queries; he may well drop by.

Quite by chance I was browsing through The West Riding Territorials in the Great War (Laurie Magnus), which contains full-ish lists of Honours and Awards. This includes the 2/4th Hampshire regiment, which served with 186th Brigade, 62nd (2/West Riding) Division from June 1918.

7728 Lance Corporal W C Marshall is included in the list, so we can certainly say he won his gong in France in 1918.