Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old Shells

Keithpac

Reading the earlier post re old shell identification, My father had a used casing from what I believe was a 76mm shell, engraved around the business end with Verdun 1916. Used it to keep his soldering kit in. (Still smelt of cordite). I understand he was given it by my grandfather who was a Corporal in the ASC, I believe he was given it by a French chap as a sounenir.

I think it was brass with some additional engraving, would anyone know if this has a ring of truth about it? Unfortunately it went for a walk when Mumcleared the garage whenhe passed away some years ago.

Regards

Weefy

Weefy,

I done know of more recent 4.5" that were fired in action in the Falklands conflict in 1982 been engraved and used as souvenirs if that helps

Alex

If it was actually 76mm, where the shell would have been, it could have been German as that was their normal field gun. However the British 18 pounder was 77 mm and the 13 pounder 76 mm, the French filed gun was 75 mm. There were a lot of cartridge cases about!

Old Tom

If it was actually 76mm, where the shell would have been, it could have been German as that was their normal field gun. However the British 18 pounder was 77 mm and the 13 pounder 76 mm, the French filed gun was 75 mm. There were a lot of cartridge cases about!

Old Tom

Thanks Old Tom/Alex,

The shell could have been anything around 75 +/- 3mm as it had been knocked around a bit.

A work colleague who goes on battlefield tours said he'd been to a french farm and there was still old ammo lying around that you could pick up, the HSE would have a field day.

Weefy

.....still old ammo lying around that you could pick up, the HSE would have a field day.

In the UK the police put a 200m cordon in & have the ambulance & fire service on local standby while the bomb squad deals with it. In France/Belgium they just leave it by the side of the road waiting for collection.

Andy

If it wasn't British it wouldn't be Cordite it smelt of.

You can always recognise the smell of Cordite - it's like burnt orange peel, boiled hard in cheap tinned spaghetti, with a drop of added Rangoon oil. :D

A more usual tangy nitro-propellant smell would suggest a French 75 or German 77.

Regards,

MikB

To identify it the basic guide is that the French 75mm is quite tall and necked in near the top. The German 77mm is quite short (about 12 inches) and uniform in shape along its length.

John