Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

And who will pay ?

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

I for one know we can rely on the current Australian Government and the Australian Defence Force to see appropriate recoveries through to the end.

Rgds

Tim

Interestingly this seems to be an important point in this discussion.

I have no reason to doubt that Tim's statement is correct. In contrast, there seems to be a world-weary recognition by UK posters that the UK Government will not do the "right thing" here. We have some evidence that this will indeed be the case. Of course, this doesn't mean that all UK based Forum members will shrug their shoulders and say "Well, we're strapped for cash". Far from it.As has been said lobbying can be effective.

What amuses me is that the MOD may find itself being again led by the nose by Australian sentiment if say further substantial numbers of remains including those of Australians are found at Bullecourt or similarly at battlefields associated with the Canadians. Would Fromelles

have happened in the way it did had the remains been exclusively UK casualties? I have my doubts.

Interestingly this seems to be an important point in this discussion.

I have no reason to doubt that Tim's statement is correct. In contrast, there seems to be a world-weary recognition by UK posters that the UK Government will not do the "right thing" here. We have some evidence that this will indeed be the case. Of course, this doesn't mean that all UK based Forum members will shrug their shoulders and say "Well, we're strapped for cash". Far from it.As has been said lobbying can be effective.

What amuses me is that the MOD may find itself being again led by the nose by Australian sentiment if say further substantial numbers of remains including those of Australians are found at Bullecourt or similarly at battlefields associated with the Canadians. Would Fromelles

have happened in the way it did had the remains been exclusively UK casualties? I have my doubts.

Australia has not had a major economic crisis - end of story

Not sure that the reality is quite as simple as that - although I would certainly acknowledge that UK would be delighted with Australia's current economic growth rates.

Places such as Fromelles and Bullecourt (and indeed the totality of their great War battlefields) are very important staging posts in the creation of Australia's national identity. Perhaps our Australian Pals would care to comment on this from their viewpoint.

How sad if our MOD finds itself chained to an enthusiatic Australian equivalent comparatively replete with dollars dragging it screaming towards spending a few quid! :D

(By the way, should we ban the Forum use of the phrase "end of story". It almost never is when applied to anything Great War related)

You guys should move here if its so bad....half the Brit Army has! And welcome....have not met anything but good operators amongst them!

As an alternative, you might follw the lead of the Canadians...and move to Florida.

:)

Another line of my inquiry right now is to sort out the expressed concern re: unauthorized use of DNA. I know a few in the law profession and while my theory is that it would be far easier to compel a fresh DNA sample in a criminal proceeding than to navigate access to an older sample from a governmental branch, I will defer to the experts to see which would be the quickest and easiest route from a legal point of view.

Daniel

Smart one, Daniel :lol: . Actually, this (Polish/Scottish) Canadian moved to Scotland. Once we gain full independence, we'll fund our own :whistle: . Cheers, Antony

I acknowledge the UK has been hard hit.....certainly Australia appears to have been able to recover more effectively from the EC. This said I can assure you that it was not and is not now all beer and skittles here either my friend.

That's enough. I'm shutting this down and will possibly restart the DNA fanclub under another a more focussed heading. Obviously there is great enthusiasm for this DNA identification in the antipodes, and the next "logical" step is surely clear, given the Pheasant Wood / Fromelles connection - and you'll only have to move the diggers a wee way down the road.

Tom