Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Exhibition of war photographs Ypres 1917 1918

Laurent

Great photos!

Thanks for posting the link, Laurent.

These are really great quality, except that there were few manipulated (two-in-one) battlescenes that disturbed me a lil`. Anyone agree?

That's why i sometimes feel ignored...

i mentioned the link already.

and some lads even were on the same topic!!

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=15702

It was Hurley who went 'South' with Ernest Shackleton (and I mean SOUTH!). He did compose some Great War shots and mix one photo with another but - seeing the quality and detail - is it really that important?

Bernard Lewis

That's why i sometimes feel ignored...

i mentioned the link already.

and some lads even were on the same topic!!

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=15702

kristof,

I realized that too!!! You are quite right.

From a K-9 perspective: that's what makes me sick here in this human effort where everybody pretends to be nice with each other.

Anyway interesting photos kristof or laurent or whoever

Guest dinkidi
These are really great quality, except that there were few manipulated (two-in-one) battlescenes that disturbed me a lil`. Anyone agree?

Hurley would turn in his grave if he knew that his pictures disturbed anyone!

Do we get disturbed by the graphic scenes dished up to us on the telly?. Do the photographers risk their very life to get the shots for us. How many thousand feet of film are shot for the 30 second 'grab' we see. With all the editing, enhancement, & straight out "doctoring" is "what they see, what we get?"

Then again, there have been slight advances in the photographic equipment available to those recording our history. There are photos of the Camera Equipment actually taken into the lines at Ypres etc. The logistics involved were mind-blowing, particularly as the images were predominately on glass plates. Reverberations from our own guns was a problem, and enemy shelling etc upset a few of the planned scenes. Hurley & offsiders were not following any Manual of War Photography; they literally flew by the seat of their muddy, or sandy, pants.

They probably didn't imagine that we could sit on our bums, press a couple of buttons and criticise their work.

His composite shots were all from the same location, they were not fanciful conglomerations. A single frame was somewhat limited in recording the overall scene, but to his everlasting credit, some of the most poignant and recognised pictures of that War do that superbly.

His reluctance to miss the opportunity to portray the overall scene as vividly as possible, MAY have been coloured by his very recent experience in Antarctica.

He was ordered to destroy the vast majority of his equipment and photo-plates, to increase the expedition's [rather slim] chances of survival, but managed to retain some very significant pictures.

One should also bear in mind that many of the well known pictures & films supposedly depictin events & conditions at "The Front" were actually staged where

conditions, participants, and of course enemy action, could be managed.

So what do I think of Capt Hurley's work? I think it was a monumental contribution to History.

G'day Kris

Your contribution was noted, and discussed [as you know] down here.

Don't get the knickers in a knot though, mate. Yours was obscured as it was part of an ongoing thread which Laurent was apparently not following. He started a new topic and has understandably attracted more attention.

Nice Boy "Chester.

Believe me, I don't want to upset you or those jaws.

ooRoo

Pat

Pat,

I'm in absolute agreement with you. Although 'some' (and certainly not all) of Hurley's photos were composites, there was nothing 'fake' in the content. They were simply a series of factual events captured on film from the one place and combined into a single photo to give the viewer a realistic impression of the overall truth.

The only thing that could be considered 'fake' was his occasional airbrushing of shellbursts into a photo and let's face it - although a shell might not be exploding at the time he took the photo, there's a distinct possibility that one did not too long before or after!

There are other Hurley photos (some of which I have in a book) and several colour ones which are fabulous. I haven't got time right now but I'll try scanning them and post them in asap.

Tim L.

Guest dinkidi

G'day Tim

I have just checked the IWM photo collection under "Hurley".

My spooky photo of the other thread is 1 of only 4 results. E[Aus]711

Another is of Hurley & Wilkins in billets. It gives some indication of their spartan existence. E[Aus]1312

As usual, Australia gets ripped off by the old country. The prints are cheaper to buy from the AWM than the IWM. Bet Hurley's estate gets a fortune.[AS IF]

ooRoo

Pat

Actually, wasn't the "faking" (or creation of composites) one of the reasons that Hurley was sent from the Western Front to Palestine ? He had run "afoul" of Bean who was a pretty powerful person in the AIF (considering what he was there for). He (Bean) even indulged in attempting to influence who was to succeed Birdwood as commander of the Australian Corps (he was pro-White and anti-Monash - possibly anti-Semitism playing a part).

No 77 in the series is well known one of the composities (consisting of two 41 and a 45 which itself has "faked" shelbursts). No 33, 79 are also known "enhancement" shots.

No 86 is the prize of the lot I reckon.....

Edward

Kristof... I was just wondering if this was where you found the picture you posted on another thread that you described as one of the eeriest. I was thinking so, because the lighting in some of the ones on this link have the same back lighting.

Andy

yes it is,

so possibly it is a fake, but still... an official photo of WW1

what about this "fake" one

post-4-1088420606.jpg

Guest Desmond6

Re the carrying of heavy, complicated camera equipment into front line etc. Fully appreciate that state of the art equipment 'then' was needed to capture the vast majority of the images we rely on 'now' for our vision of the front.

But what about all those 'me and my mates' pics in the front line. Not the action shots or artillert bursts etc, the pictures of 'Bert and his pet rat' etc! I assume they were taken by some bloke with the 1914-18 equivalent of the 'Olympus Trip' - was the famous Box Brownie in vogue around that time?

Des

Also we may not forget that Aussies were aloud to take pics... Brits NOT except officers with permission of the high command.

Aussie pics were also "free" and didn't have to pass the cencuration commission (if you call it like that).

***Ali Do you mean the gas maks photo of the scot?

scene on trenche Ypres 1917.

See all the shovels, it are certainly "diggers" :lol:

Guest dinkidi

G'day Kris.

With all due respects, Aussies were specifically forbidden to take pictures.

Even "Battalion-owned" cameras were confiscated.

BIG can of worms there!

ooRoo

Pat

I feel that we owe a great debt to Frank Hurley

And here is one of my particular favourites taken by him of an Australian Light Horseman picking anemones near Deir-el-Balah

post-4-1088486245.jpg