Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5 Notts & Derby July 16

Ravrick

Hi,

i am currently researching 3004/200801 Pte Walter Percy powell who served in the 1st/5th Bn N&D, his papers state he served in France from June 1915 to 9th July 1916, he was discharged due to wounds. I would be grateful to anybody if any forum member has a copy of the war diary , could they check to see how many men were wounded per day between the 1st and 8th July. I am assuming he was wounded on the 1st and evacuated to the UK on the 9th? Any info would be appreicated,

Thanks,

Rick

I have the war diary. It is one available as a download from the NA. The 1/5th SF were out of the line and were some miles to the rear so out of range of enemy action. There are no mentions of any casualties.

I have the war diary. It is one available as a download from the NA. The 1/5th SF were out of the line and were some miles to the rear so out of range of enemy action. There are no mentions of any casualties.

Sorry but you are complerely wrong the 5th Btn Notts and Derby Regt were up and over the top and sustained many casualties on this day.

Companies were organised in four waves, the rear Platoon or wave carrying bombs and material for consolidation. "D" Company was on the right. "A" Company in the centre, and "C" Company on the left. "B" Company was detailed to do the carrying. The final Bombardment began at 6.25 a.m.

The attack succeeded in its first object to the extent that enough troops were held in front of the Division to have altered the whole course of the operations further south.

The Battalion was relieved at 7 p.m. and moved into billets at BIENVILLERS.

After this attack Major B.H. CHECKLAND assumed command of what was left of the Batalion.

Sorry I rather assumed Ravrick was asking about casualties after the 1st July, i.e. could he have been wounded after the attack on Gommecourt. As I have written a rather (too) long book about the 46th Division at Gommecourt I certainly know they went over the top on 1st July and that they suffered 70% casualties. Subsequently they were out of the line at Saulty and Warlincourt.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies and apologies for any confusion...BMAC was correct in assuming my request was for recorded casualties after the 1st July as I am trying to confirm he that was wounded (confirmed as "wounds' on SWB card) on the 1st July and as the Bn had pulled out of the line (with no recorded casualties) it seems fairly certain he was.

Thanks again for the help,

Rick

Late to this, but yes it is just about certain that his wounds were received on the 1st July due to the fact that the battalion was pulled from the line immediately after the failed attack.

Incidentally, I note that he was later given a six digit number, so presumably his discharge due to wounding happened some considerable time later. Do you have a date for this?

Not sure about this but...if he was 'discharged' due to wounds, then he would have had to go through hospitalisation, medical boards etc., which could mean that his injuries happened months before whatever discharge date is given i.e. possibly sometime in 1915?

Martin

Hi, thanks for the input guys. From his scant service papers:

3004 Walter percy powell 1/5 N&D

Enlisted 23.10.14

Service:

Home 23.10.14 to 24.06.15

France 25.06.15 to 09.07.16

Home 10.07.16 to 13.10.17

Discharged 13.10.17, SWB list F64/1 cause wounds, as he was still serving with the 5th Bn in the UK in oct 1917 he would have had his number changed to one from the TF block - 200801.

I can only assume that he was wounded on the 1st July 1916, hospitalised in the UK and them deemed fit for "home service only" possibly his health got worse and he was finally discharged.

If anyone can add to this info it would be ppreicated,

Thanks,

Rick

BMAC,

A rather too long book....no way, it is superb for all its detail!!!

TT

Took ten years.... but fun nonetheless. Next tome due c. 2015. It will be big too (perhaps even two volumes). Never mind the quality, feel the width! :unsure:

Discharged 13.10.17,

Yes, that explains the issue of a six digit number. I would make the assumption that your assumptions (!) are correct.

Re the books by Bmac - agree, excellent. Actually I must buy a new copy of the 46th one because I foolishly walked around with it in the rain at Gommecourt last summer and then placed it in a rucksack that proved to be anything but waterproof.