Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pembroke Yeomanry

canadian gunner

I am seeking any information on my grandfather, Private T. David Jones 315185 Pembroke Yeomanry. They amalgamated with the Glamorgans to become the 24th Bn Welsh Regiment. The medal roles show a T. Jones but regt. no. is 5360. Any ideas where I can obtain the muster roles for the Pembrokes?

Hi mar eng,

I tried to find your relative on the Medal Index Cards, using both the Ancestry version and that on the National Archives website, but came up with a blank.

There were certainly Pembroke Yeomanry Joneses with 315xxx series numbers after the January 1917 Territorial change-over from 4-figure to 6-figure numbers; but not him. Likewise, if he did have that series they seem to match somewhat earlier 4-figure series in the 4000s, not 5300s (it is relevant, since the new numbers were issued according to the length of service of the individual concerned and the two series should run in a logically ascending sequence).

Can I ask what your sources are for the 6-figure number in the first place?

LST_164

Fair enough,

unfortunately a re-check using that number alone on the NA site shows Medal Index Cards for 12 soldiers in different regiments/corps with no.315185, but none named Jones and none in any Welsh unit. It is possible that his MIC is missing from the set at the NA - a number seem to have have been lost over the years!

I checked my copies of the Army orders giving the block numbers, and the 315xxx block was specifically allocated to 24th Welsh Regt. on 10 January 1917. Technically, this means your relative first served abroad after that date and with that Regiment, whoever he may have belonged to previously (I'm assuming his medal is named to the Welsh R.). The Pembs. Yeomanry didn't use that block number themselves - in April 1917 the PY reserve units in the UK were allocated a new 6-figure series beginning 290xxx.

The 24th Welsh were formed out of both the Glamorgan and Pembroke Yeomanries - how do you know that he wasn't a Glamorgan Yeoman? You also mention the medal roll - do you have a copy of his entry on this?

Not wanting to doubt you - I'm just trying to get a handle on this!

LST_164

No colonel, his medal is named to the Pembroke Yeomanry

Fair enough,

unfortunately a re-check using that number alone on the NA site shows Medal Index Cards for 12 soldiers in different regiments/corps with no.315185, but none named Jones and none in any Welsh unit. It is possible that his MIC is missing from the set at the NA - a number seem to have have been lost over the years!

I checked my copies of the Army orders giving the block numbers, and the 315xxx block was specifically allocated to 24th Welsh Regt. on 10 January 1917. Technically, this means your relative first served abroad after that date and with that Regiment, whoever he may have belonged to previously (I'm assuming his medal is named to the Welsh R.). The Pembs. Yeomanry didn't use that block number themselves - in April 1917 the PY reserve units in the UK were allocated a new 6-figure series beginning 290xxx.

The 24th Welsh were formed out of both the Glamorgan and Pembroke Yeomanries - how do you know that he wasn't a Glamorgan Yeoman? You also mention the medal roll - do you have a copy of his entry on this?

Not wanting to doubt you - I'm just trying to get a handle on this!

LST_164

Sorry, I said medal roles when I meant to say medal cards

Well, you've convincingly explained why you're after a no.315185 Jones of the Pembs. Yeomanry anyway!

I still can't explain why his Medal Index Card isn't there, but actually all the card does is refer to the entry in the Medal Rolls at the National Archives. It's just possible that the Roll might have a bit more information on him, so could be worth checking out? I'm not sure whether that would be the PY roll or the Welsh Regt roll in this instance.

The Rolls aren't available online so you'd either have to go to Kew in person or use the services of a researcher. Someone with better knowledge of the regiment than myself may spot this conversation and correct or improve on what I've said so far!

LST_164

Mates,

I also have this man in the ICC

Jones Thomas 50481 Pte 6Co 2Bn ICC Ex 1/1 Pembroke Yeo (4241) and Welsh Regt (315209) later 2/Lt RAF

I don't know what Welsh Regt he went to but the 24Bn sounds good.

I also have

Jones John 50398 Pte 6Co ICC Ex Denbigh Yeo (586) and 24Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers (340146) later Royal Engineers (WR/195555)

Jones Thomas H 50439 Pte ICC? Ex Denbigh Yeo (2001) and Hussars

cheers

S.B

Mates,

I also have this man in the ICC

Jones Thomas 50481 Pte 6Co 2Bn ICC Ex 1/1 Pembroke Yeo (4241) and Welsh Regt (315209) later 2/Lt RAF

I don't know what Welsh Regt he went to but the 24Bn sounds good.

I also have

Jones John 50398 Pte 6Co ICC Ex Denbigh Yeo (586) and 24Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers (340146) later Royal Engineers (WR/195555)

Jones Thomas H 50439 Pte ICC? Ex Denbigh Yeo (2001) and Hussars

cheers

S.B

Close Steve but I need a 315185 T. Jones. Thanx