Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another brass casing

Rob Bulloch

Sorry my apologies for the quality of the photograph, the casing resembles the brass of a shotgun shell but larger than 12 gauge. the stamps on the base read J.P & S over IV. Could this be the remains of a flare? Thanks in advance.

Aye Rob.

post-56-098654800 1297559311.jpg

Can't help with the flare cartridge, Rob, but I know a pair of comfy suede moccasin slippers and a wool mix berber carpet when I see them ... :P

Can't help with the flare cartridge, Rob, but I know a pair of comfy suede moccasin slippers and a wool mix berber carpet when I see them ... :P

:D:thumbsup:

Rob, if you have access to a scanner headstamps often come out quite well just by standing them on the glass and running a scan.

Chris

Yes, it is the base of a Mark IV flare cartridge made by J.Payne & Sons, the fireworks manufacturer. These cases had a brass base and a cardboard body and were of 1 inch calibre (4 bore in shotgun terms)

Regards

TonyE

Tony E. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, right on the money with the bore size 1".

Mr S.G. :thumbsup::rolleyes::rolleyes: Still laughing.

Chris.. Thanks for the advice on the scanner, I will give that a try next time around. I have been all around the dial on my Canon trying to get passable micro shots of items.

Thanks All Aye Rob.

... right on the money with the bore size 1".

Mr S.G. :thumbsup::rolleyes: Still laughing.

It was late, Rob, and I was tired — otherwise, I would have had the presence of mind to refer to your stance and say "OMG, Rob, did it just come away in your hand" ... :innocent:

It was late, Rob, and I was tired — otherwise, I would have had the presence of mind to refer to your stance and say "OMG, Rob, did it just come away in your hand" ... :innocent:

Aye Mick that's just a'boot the size o'it as they say. :whistle::rolleyes:

Aye Rob.

:o

Please forget everything I said about the scanner! :doh:

Chris