Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell Markings

rogerh0343

I wonder if anyone could decipher what the markings on a shell case are?

They are 75 DEC

FRL 32L 17X

The case is marked Verdun and has a rose, leaves pattern.

A shell which has been used for trench art.

Our grandfather was in France with the RFC from 1916 .

Many thanks

Roger

Hello, Roger -

Your shell case is a French 75x350 case for the M-1897 75mm field gun. The "75 DE C" means "75 de Campagne" or very roughly translated, "75mm field gun."

The case was manufactured by "FRL" but my files do not show that code and so I do not know who it was. Are you certain those letters are correct?

The "17X" reveals that it was manufactured in 1917.

I do not know what the "32L" or the "X" after the 17 date indicates. I hope that some other forum member will let us know. Also, if "FRL" is the correct manufacturer's code, I hope that someone will identify the manufacturer for us.

I'm sorry that I couldn't identify everything, but at least you know the type of shell case and the year of manufacture.

Regards, Torrey

Many thanks Torrey. Much appreciated.

I will ask my cousin Carol-Anne who has the case to re-check the markings and if different will post again..

All the best

Roger

Carol- Anne my cousin has looked at the case again with regard to “FRL” There are some tooling marks over the top of the “L” – could it possibly be an “E”

Hello, Roger - That still doesn't remotely resemble the manufacturer's markings in my records. Sorry! I was hoping someone else would have the answer. Regards, Torrey