Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bullet Casing Identification

Pavster1980

Hey all

I'm new to this section of the forum and need some help if possible.

I was passed this Bullet Casing by my father and we are unsure if it is ww1, ww2 or other. We wanted to know a little more about it isf possible.

It was in an envelope with medals and Cap Badges from WW1 so we assume it is from WW1

Thanks in advance

Rich

another shot of the Casing

post-60087-050916800 1297517436.jpg

post-60087-054230500 1297517516.jpg

First off, it is a minor detail but the correct term is "cartridge case", not "bullet casing".

You have a cartridge case for a .455 inch Revolver, a Ball Mark II made at Kirkee Arsenal in India in 1939. The Mark II was the standard revolver cartridge of the British and Indian armies from its introduction in 1897 until 1930 when it started to be replaced by the .380 inch Mark I. It fired a 265 grain lead bullet at about 600 feet per second. Propellant was about 6 grains of Mark I Cordite.

It was fired in all Marks of the Webley revolver, Smith & Wessons, Colts and the Old Pattern Spanish revolvers used by Britain.

However, using a jacketed bullet, the Mark VI, the Webley .455 revolver stayed in front line service until the end of WW2.

It is the right hand cartridge in the picture. (the other is the .455 inch Self Loading round for the Webley Self Loading Pistol Mark I)

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-056701800 1297520335.jpg

Thanks TonyE

Mr Grandfather was in India during WW2, it must have come from him, we thought it was WW1 as it was with my greatgrand fathers medls. Thanks for clearing that up for me

Rich