Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Leslie St. Ledger Blakeney, Lancashire Fusiliers attached G

Jim_Grundy

Lieutenant Blakeney was killed when the s.s. Falaba was torpedoed on 28th March 1915 and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission commemorates his loss on the Hollybrook Memorial at Southampton. However, Blakeney's body was recovered, an inquest into his death was held and his body returned to his home village for burial. The following is an excerpt from the local press:

The evidence went to show that the torpedo was fired while many of the passengers and crew were still aboard. The Coroner said if it was not piracy and murder on the high seas he did not know what constituted such an act, and they all hope the crime would be brought home. The Jury returned a verdict that the deceased died from exposure consequent on the ship being torpedoed by a German submarine. They expressed their admiration of the conduct of the crew of the steam drifters which rescued so many lives.

The body was brought to Sheffield from Milford Haven yesterday [31st March 1915], and by motor hearse forward to Thorpe Salvin last night, where it was laid in the Chancel of the Church. The funeral takes place this afternoon [1st April 1915]. (Worksop Guardian, 1st April 1915.)

The burial is confirmed in local cemetery records, which have been transcribed on-line (see: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/ThorpeBurials1900-1919.html).

Has anyone ever come across another instance where a man's name was included on a memorial to those lost at sea but whose body was recovered? I have never found a similar instance where the CWGC does not record an actual grave myself.

Thoughts?

Some of the 47 crew lost do have graves, presumably those brought ashore by the drifters at their home ports, or washed ashore at some date, still able to be identified. Others may not have been identifiable and may be "Known Unto God" in various coastal cemeteries.

I'm sure there are quite a few instances of known burials in addition to those commemorated on various Memorials, but don't have chapter and verse.

Perhaps an email to the CWGC will assist them in ensuring their database is accurate?

Yes, I was going to check with the CWGC. Thought I'd check with the good folks here just in case I was missing something obvious, which has, erm.., been known.

The In From the Cold Project is also investigating such cases, and the recent thread on Harry Lund also showed that one of his shipmates was, as I recall, on Hollybrook when he is buried in Southampton. The database has I htink been updated in that instance, but it will obviously take a while for the memorial to be physically changed.

Jim

as someone who has investigated dozens of cases just like the one that you are on about nothing surprises me anymore

Anyway on to more practical matters. CWGC will not accept a transcribed internet record as proof of burial. What I will do if you wish me to is to contact the church for proof of burial. Failing that there are other ways I can sort this matter out

CHris

Chris

Yes, I have passed details of errors to the CWGC before and found them very helpful but certainly in need of much documentation before any amendment was made to their records.

I'd be happy to pass on what I have to you if you want to take this up with CWGC. I was going to do so myself but am more than happy for you to do so in light of your experience.

Regards,

Jim

Will ask the mods to move this thread over to the non commemorateds section

I did make comment some time ago to the CWGC re Hollybrook Memorial and was informed that is not solely for lost at sea casualties.

This was after I had stumbled across a grave of an officer who died as a result of being thrown from his horse whilst on parade at Netley, that was the wording on DoH at the time, he has has since been digitaly removed from the Memorial

"The Hollybrook Memorial commemorates by name almost 1,900 servicemen and women of the Commonwealth land and air forces* whose graves are not known, many of whom were lost in transports or other vessels torpedoed or mined in home waters (*Officers and men of the Commonwealth's navies who have no grave but the sea are commemorated on memorials elsewhere). The memorial also bears the names of those who were lost or buried at sea, or who died at home but whose bodies could not be recovered for burial. "

After liaising with Chris I visited the churchyard yesterday and the memorial was in reasonable condition. Photos as below.

post-7183-077171200 1297796030.jpg

post-7183-084921300 1297796173.jpg

post-7183-070926700 1297796214.jpg

post-7183-042329600 1297796225.jpg

I would like to thank Jim for bring him to my attention in the first place & to Peter for locating the grave

Chris

Excellent photographs. May I use them on my facebook page? Suitably credited, of course.

I did discover another account of Blakeney's death. He was reported to have been picked up out of the water but died of exposure shortly afterwards.

Jim

Would that account mention any other names at all

I recently had a case recognised from the Falaba

Name: MASSY, LIONEL HENRY

Initials: L H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers

Secondary Unit Text: attd. The Gold Coast Police.

Date of Death: 28/03/1915

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: BROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

Chris

No, sorry, it only mentioned Blakeney.

I did find another article but it only referred to his death as being a key factor in the vicar, his father, leaving the parish in 1916. His health had suffered as a consequence, unsurprisingly. What was interesting was that he laid the blame for his son's death squarely at the feet of German spies abroad in the U.K.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim; was just a thought

Chris

• 1 month later...

Name: BLAKENEY, LESLIE St. LEGER

Initials: L St. L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Secondary Regiment: Gold Coast Regiment, R.W.A.F.F.

Secondary Unit Text: attd.

Date of Death: 28/03/1915

Additional information: Son of William Purdon Blakeney and Elizabeth Adeline Blakeney, of Woodside, Bideford, North Devon. Educated at Marlborough College and Sandhurst.

N.B.: Recent research has shown that Lieutenant Blakeney is buried here. Please note Lieutenant Blakeney's name also appears on Panel 48 on the Hollybrook Memorial, Southampton which will be removed when the panel is next replaced.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Right of Vestry door.

Cemetery: THORPE SALVIN (ST.PETER) CHURCHYARD

Good news indeed

Hi Jim,

Whilst looking through the Leeds Mercury newspaper, I came across an entry for Lieut. Blakeney. The entry includes a photo of him and a small write up. I made a copy, so if you would like this please could you PM me your 'snail mail' address and I will send it off to you.

Robert