Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MInenwerfer igniters

Gunner Bailey

Thought the forum might like to see these.

A nearly full box of Inerted Minenwerfer igniters. The box is slightly damaged from being buried but overall a nice item. I believe they were also used on the 66mm Mountain cannon.

John

post-8629-064069800 1297346205.jpg

oooooohhhhhh.... that is overly sexy! Would give my left pinkie for that!

(Does this hobby make us weird????)

There is a lot of weirdos about then cos I am drooling. Was it a field find? Excavated item and how does one make the detonaters inert?

Regards

TT

There is a lot of weirdos about then cos I am drooling. Was it a field find? Excavated item and how does one make the detonaters inert?

Regards

TT

The tubes are now empty having been acid dipped soon after excavation a few years ago. They are now completely safe.

John

Are You sure this are Minenwerfer igniters?

Looks more for delay ignition of TNT

Same type of pulling string as for Kugelgranaten

Cnock

Are You sure this are Minenwerfer igniters?

Looks more for delay ignition of TNT

Same type of pulling string as for Kugelgranaten

Cnock

The explosive in Kugal and Egg grenades was simple powder charge so there was no need for a high explosive detonator, like the Mills had. The Kugals had a screw in fuse but these were just to be pushed into a hole as in many artillery pieces of the time.

I don't think these would work with TNT which would need a HE Det.

John

How did you have the good fortune to aquire them? Lovely unusual militaria item!!

TT

Hi John,

I didn't mean to say that the igniters You show were filled with simple powder charges

About the Kugelgranate I was just comparing the pull ring

best regards,

Cnock

How did you have the good fortune to aquire them? Lovely unusual militaria item!!

TT

Simple. A collector came into my shop, brought about 5 items with him, left with some more new stuff and a smile on his face. A deal was done, both side happy.

John

Can I assume that the wire loop goes over a hook and when the minenwerfer is fired it pulls the wire out thus making the igniter active ?

Can I assume that the wire loop goes over a hook and when the minenwerfer is fired it pulls the wire out thus making the igniter active ?

David

These were simple friction devices. The wire was coated with some match head type combustible and the there was a comparable rough lining in the top of the tube I believe. As the wire was pulled the 'match head' like reaction took place which ignited a powder trail in the tube. In these igniters it was instantaneous, in Kugal and egg grenades it burnt through in 4-5 seconds.

John

John,

Thanks for the explanation, presumably though the igniter had enough delay to explode the main weapon at the correct time.

Cheers

John,

Thanks for the explanation, presumably though the igniter had enough delay to explode the main weapon at the correct time.

Cheers

David

I'm sure these are instantaneous. As soon as they sparked the flash went down the tube to the main charge in the breech.

John