Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aden in November 1914

David Porter

I have just received a copy of a postcard of Somerset RHA in the Clacton area in late 1914.

No mystery there, but the back of the card has details of a trip to Aden from Suez arriving on November 1, 1914.

post-7172-005733400 1297267638.jpg

Does anyone know who would have been making this trip? Was it on the way to somewhere else?

I cannot find any reference to a unit arriving there on that date.

Thanks in advance, David

David

I will guess that the lad was employed on some type of security or gunnery duties on the ship.

Perim Island was not attacked and seized by 29 Infantry Brigade until 10th October, so the voyage entailed some risk.

Harry

As this is an area in which I have no previous knowledge, I welcome the input.

It looks increasingly like this "diary" was from someone on a merchant ship or Navy vessel and not a troopship.

I should have mentioned that the card had Frederick Hares of Wells on the front. He had 2 brothers, Albert Edward and John Henry.

John Henry Hares joined the Royal Marine Light Infantry shortly before this, so it might be from him.

I see his record can be downloaded from ADM 159/192 (17412 - 17961) and I could try that. He died in September 1918.

Albert Edward Hares may have been in the DCLI, if the MIC I found is for the same chap, but went to France in 1915.

Anyway what is on the card is an intriguing piece of information.