Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Insignia - Military or Otherwise?

ashwellthorpewarmemorial

Can anyone identify the insignia in this photograph as military? It belonged to a cousin of my father who was a farm worker and thatcher all his life and therefore might have been exempted from service in the 1st World War. But I don't know. If military, what is it? If not military, what might it be? Thank you in advance - Ashwellthorpe

Can anyone identify the insignia in this photograph as military? It belonged to a cousin of my father who was a farm worker and thatcher all his life and therefore might have been exempted from service in the 1st World War. But I don't know. If military, what is it? If not military, what might it be? Thank you in advance - Ashwellthorpe

As Mr M says, no pic. While you fix that, I can say that being a farmworker and thatcher would not have made him exempt but his employer may have persuaded the local draft board to postpone his conscription for a period. I know of cases where shepherds were exempted for a while, until after the lambing. He would likely go eventually though.

Oops! Sorry! Photo attached NOT attached first time. Have tried several times to re-attach but cannot - file too big. Not sure how to do it but believe it can be compressed. Will come back later, hopefully with photo! Ashwellthorpe

You need to either reduce the size of your pic to below 100kb or put it on a photo-hosting site like Flickr or Photobucket and place a link here.

More like a civic crest of some kind. Mayor's sash? Is the star sewn onto the ribbon or just lying on top? What size is the star; breadth and length of the ribbon? Where did your father's cousin live/work? Antony

It is Masonic or Oddfellows etc;a Sash & Badge.

Wild stab in the dark here..

I'd say the angels would point to a church thing or possibly a school thing. Doesn't look masonic (no square or compasses). A school bandsman's sash perhaps?

Simon

Can't make out the details on the shield but the angel on the left could be St. Michael and the one on the right is holding an anchor, whether that is significant?

Tony

The big cross in the centre is found on Masonic stars but I've never seen it in a shield. Antony

Thanks to everyone who has come up with ideas. I had thought originally that it was perhaps from a military dress uniform and hadn't thought of a Freemasonry connection. But many of you have come up with that idea so perhaps it is so. He lived and worked in a village about 7 miles from Oxford; I know now that he was also a Special Constable for many years and received a medal for long service. So perhaps it has something to do with the Oxfordshire police force. But anyway, you all seem to think it's not military and thank you all for your help and suggestions. Ashwellthorpe

As I thought & suggested Odd fellows:~~~~~

Oddfellows Museum Insignia..

Note the Silk Printed Stevengraph above the Star in the Illustration & the Riband Colouring...

HB

Thank you HB. Have now looked at the Oddfellows Museum insignia you suggested - you are absolutely right, insignia almost identical in so many ways. Great - Ashwellthorpe

As I thought & suggested Odd fellows:~~~~~

Oddfellows Museum Insignia..

Note the Silk Printed Stevengraph above the Star in the Illustration & the Riband Colouring...

HB

Well done, Harry. Only difference is the Coat of Arms going inside the Star instead of separate. Oddfellows, indeed! Antony

Thank you Antony

As a further link to that Newport Pagnell site this may also be of GW Interest....

Newport Pagnell WW1 Letters :poppy:

HB