Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oliver Tetley West Ridings Discharged

mmm45

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=oliver&gsfn_x=1&gsln=tetley&gsln_x=1&cpxt=1&uidh=ip5&cp=11&pcat=39&h=902096&db=BritishArmy&indiv=1

Hi

Oliver Tetley enlisted into the West Riding Regiment in 1905 He served overseas in India and returned to the Army Reserve.

In 1914 he was mobilised but was discharged to pension in Feb 1915.

He subsequently died in Jan 1916 of TB in a sanotarium in the Yorkshire Dales.

His DC states COD as Pulmonary TB 1 year and 1 month which puts contracting TB within his service life.

His record also mentions TB and Broncho Pneumonia

If anyone has access to Ancestry could you cast your eyes over the record in the link above.

When you view the record on ancestry the link starts in the middle of his record so you will need to go backwards and forwards to view the full remaining records.

Am just looking for Pals comments to see if its worth progressing to CWGC/MOD as a possible Non Comm.

Ady

Ady

I have had a look at Army Form B 179 and I am afraid that I do not think that it is a runner.

It is categorically stated under section 9 where the symptoms and disease are described that it is 'not due to military service'. The same is repeated in response to the questions posed under section 18.

I would love to be contradicted by other posters.

Mel

Yes thats what has stopped me sending it in just after second opinions!

Enlisted 1905 ....Discharged to Army Reserve 1913 mobilised Aug 14 sick Sept 14 Discharged Feb 15 With TB Dead Jan 16

Short timeline to get Chronic TB would've have thought it'd show up when mobilised?

Ady

Hello Ady,

I'm as dubious as Mel and you are.

It wouldn't matter when it was contracted, if "aggravated by current service" was in there somewhere, but the report seems very emphatic in it's unqualified "not due to military service".

Phil

Ady,

Not wishing to hj-jack the RC thread....

The case of Edward Harvey Dixon is strange, to say the least. Is there something we are missing?

It's worthy of further discussion, I reckon, especially if it will help clarify this case and others like it.

Phil