Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russian Cross of St George

corisande

I am researching a Thomas James Jennings (link to my information page on Jennings) in connection with the War of Independence in Ireland.

I contacted his grandson who mentions T J Jennings being awarded the DCM (which I already have the citation for) and Russian Cross of St George for conspicuous gallantry.

Would he have got the Russian medal only if he had served in the Russian Relief Force, or could he have got it for service on the Western Front.

In other words I am trying to establish if Jennings served in Russia, as many on the undercover men in Ireland seem to have done, before volunteering for undercover work in Ireland

Mark Hifle has found the entry in theLG here

LONDON GAZETTE, 15 FEBRUARY, 1917.

Cross of St. George, 4th Class.

20390 Corporal (Lance-.Serjeant) Thomas James Jennings, Northumberland Fusiliers

It appears that HMG had a bag full of these to hand out, the LG link shows a fair number on that date. And they appear to be Western Front

Hello. Czar Nicholas II embarassed General Brusilov when the Czar expressed a desire in awarding the St. George Medal to an entire regiment of cavalry on the Eastern Front in I think 1915. Awarding of foreign decorations was one way to support your Allies and build support.

John

There were two categories of St George in the Russian System prior to the Revolution. The Order of St George which when awarded gave the bearer Nobility status and the Cross of St George which was a much lessor status. My Grandfather Lt John Mitchell DSO, DFC RFC/RAF was the recipient of four Russian medals for his service with the RAF in South Russia during the Revolution, The Order of St Vladimar 4th class with swords, the Order of St Stanislas 4th class with swords, the Order of St Anne, and the Cross of St George 4th class with swords. My Avitar pic is of the minitures of his medals. The Cross of St George is the wrong medal the one shown is for the Order of St George. Looks as if by the time he tried to get these medals it was the only one available as the origional medal (In the Cambridge University Museum) is the correct one.

Yours Aye

Mitch

The only Russian awards that can be confirmed as awarded for service in Russia are those listed in"White Russian Awards" by Ray Brough. As stated by Ken most are to service personnel who never saw Russia

Peter

I certainly know that my Grandfather, John Mitchell, served with the RAF in South Russia as that is where he also earned the DSO and DFC for his and his Pilot's actions there.

Yours Aye

Mitch

I certainly know that my Grandfather, John Mitchell, served with the RAF in South Russia as that is where he also earned the DSO and DFC for his and his Pilot's actions there.

Yours Aye

Mitch

And he is listed in the book as also MID 16.7.20 Sth Russia

Peter

Just to show how far and wide the Cross of St George was awarded the following men of the 2nd Rhodesia Regiment were all recipients for their service in German East Africa.

L/Sgt William Henry Ballinger (London Gazette 15/2/17)

Pte Harold Charles De Courcy Evans (London Gazette 15/2/17)

Col/Sgt George Green (London Gazette 15/2/17)

regards

james w

15 Feb 1917 - odd the date, my original post on this thread was for an award on this medal on the Western Front to Cpl T J Jennings, and it was gazetted 15 Feb 1917.

Were any of these non-Russian awards gazetted on any other dates? Or was this a once off exercise?

15 Feb 1917 - odd the date, my original post on this thread was for an award on this medal on the Western Front to Cpl T J Jennings, and it was gazetted 15 Feb 1917.

Were any of these non-Russian awards gazetted on any other dates? Or was this a once off exercise?

Hi

That particular Supplement is only for Foreign Awards

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Adding to the list of recipients of the Cross of St George see the post of 13/02/11 under Sub-Saharan Africa for a link to an article on the Uganda Volunteer Reserve 1914 - 1918 and a Sergeant (later Lieutenant) C.T.C. Doran who is awarded the Cross of St George, 3rd Class.

Adding to the list of recipients of the Cross of St George see the post of 13/02/11 under Sub-Saharan Africa for a link to an article on the Uganda Volunteer Reserve 1914 - 1918 and a Sergeant (later Lieutenant) C.T.C. Doran who is awarded the Cross of St George, 3rd Class.

Full name

Charles Thomas Campbell LG 13 .2.17

Peter

• 1 month later...

Thanks Peter for Doran's full name.

It would increasingly look like that Cross of St George awards were handed out en masse. I keep coming across, without even looking for them, more awards. Here are just a few examples:

From the history of the Durban Light Infantry Volume 1 1854-1934

Sixth South African Infantry for service in German East Africa 1916-17:

Sgt R.P. Alexander M.M.

J. Lambert

Walker (no initials given)

From the History of the Transvaal Scottish

2 awards but no names given. Awarded for service in the campaign in German South West Africa.

And then I found some references to The Order of St Stanislaus

Lt Colonel G.M.J. Molyneaux, D.S.O., V.D., Sixth South African Infantry

Lt Colonel S.S. Taylor, D.S.O., V.D., Croix de Guerre, Order of Stanislaus 2nd Class with swords, Transvaal Horse Artillery

And one for the Order of St Anne of Russia

Major E.H. Tamlin, M.C., Transvaal Horse Artillery

The awards for the Transvaal Horse Artillery would have been for service in the campaign in German South West Africa.

And best of all and admitedly off topic:

Major T.M. Frood, Transvaal Horse Artillery - Order of the Striped Tiger of China

Can anyone shed some light on this one? I'd be intrigued.

james w