Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

clements knife

azureus

post-27849-068850900 1297007618.jpgHi all can anyone shed any light on this knife it was handed down to me with my grandfathers medals along with a ww2 npea dagger , want I want to know is , is this knife ww1 ?

on the blade it has SUTHERLAND AND RODEN , SHEFFIELD

many thanks in advance

Dave

It could well be Sutherland & Roden were cutlers in the late Nineteenth Century,early Twentieth century.It looks to be a Trench Fighting Knuckleduster Knife.

thanks for the replies like you said harry , sutherland and rhoden plied their trade around that time ,thats made me hope it was ww1 and thanks for the links joris as in for the shape of the grasp the link you sent me that contained the clement knife looks closest just different maker of blade ,and as the guy in that post said they were private buys not issue.

many thanks Dave

The Clements is generically named and were made by a large number of manufacturers. Clements was the name of a large London retailer ("British and Commonwealth Military Knives" Ron Flook).

If it's aluminum it's more likely to be first war. Aluminum was the new "wonder metal", the titanium of the age and all kinds of things were made from it. I recall seeing a picture of some boots with clog-like, aluminum soles with screw-in caulks.

By WW2, aluminum had lost a lot of its appeal and simply become another metal.

The later equivalent was the BC41 which was made either of cast iron or brass.

Edit:

Just checked out the link above and want to clarify.

All the aluminum, knuckleduster knives shown were WW2 "theater knives". Many were made aboard ship for sale to soldiers in transit. Also many were made by civilians for the same purpose.

New Zealand and Australia both had a thriving cottage industry making them. They used aluminum because of its low melting point and forgiving nature in casting.

And wow; I just made 2nd. Looey. My Dad would be so ashamed.

Thankyou Dan , ive seen your website when i was looking for clues yesterday , it is indeed aluminium , just seen your edit do you think this was ww2 or ww1?

regards Dave

Thankyou Dan , ive seen your website when i was looking for clues yesterday , it is indeed aluminium , just seen your edit do you think this was ww2 or ww1?

regards Dave

I'd say WW1.

White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham, 1911

Sutherland and Rhoden, manufacturing silversmiths, 27 Carver St.Sheffield.

Kath.