Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

buying medals

Seany

If one is searching for ones grandfathers medals via say a medal collector or forum, how does one know they are genuine and not medals that have been cleaned of a previous identity and a new name added?

If one is searching for ones grandfathers medals via say a medal collector or forum, how does one know they are genuine and not medals that have been cleaned of a previous identity and a new name added?

Hi Seany,

It is generally fairly easy to tell if a medal has been skimmed and renamed. If you are uncertain you should approach a bona fide medal dealer or a collector who has some experience.

Of course the naming on medals can be adjusted and have alterations made to them 'officially', unfortunately this creates a very 'grey area' with some medals as to whether or not the alteration is genuine, ie 'official' or whether it has been done by some unscrupulous person for financial gain. Again you will need to seek a second or third opinion to clarify any such doubts. Official alterations are very often noted on the man's MIC(MEDAL INDEX CARD) but of course this is usually if the recipient has returned the medals due to an error in the spelling of his surname.

Don't let this deter you though as the vast majority of medals on the market are quite genuine, but if in doubt ask for advice before purchasing, and if purchasing over the internet ask for close ups of the naming and then ask someone to have a look at it for you.

Caveat Emptor.

Robert

Many thanks.

Hi Seany,

It is generally fairly easy to tell if a medal has been skimmed and renamed. If you are uncertain you should approach a bona fide medal dealer or a collector who has some experience.

Of course the naming on medals can be adjusted and have alterations made to them 'officially', unfortunately this creates a very 'grey area' with some medals as to whether or not the alteration is genuine, ie 'official' or whether it has been done by some unscrupulous person for financial gain. Again you will need to seek a second or third opinion to clarify any such doubts. Official alterations are very often noted on the man's MIC(MEDAL INDEX CARD) but of course this is usually if the recipient has returned the medals due to an error in the spelling of his surname.

Don't let this deter you though as the vast majority of medals on the market are quite genuine, but if in doubt ask for advice before purchasing, and if purchasing over the internet ask for close ups of the naming and then ask someone to have a look at it for you.

Caveat Emptor.

Robert

Just to expand on what Robert said, the only effective way of removing the name detailes from a medal is to 'skim' it, or in other words remove the metal which the name has been impressed or engraved into. This reduces the diameter of the medal quite substantially. It is usually easy enough to spot by eye, but when measured with a set of Vernier calipers or an approriately sized micrometer the reduced size will become apparent immediately. The measurement through a line as close to 12 - 6 o'clock (suspension gets in the way) will usually be smaller than that through the line 9 - 3 o'clock where there is usually no need to remove any metal.

Cheers,

Nigel

And the star will show similar thinning and usually grinding marks and a change in patina. There is no real substitute though for just seeing a lot of medals. There is a variety of styles and impressing errors but fakes usually stand out!

Seany, this is an interesting question on another level, the question to ask would be, why specifically would grandads medals be renamed, this activity is only cost effective if the return is worth it. It could be that they were renamed by the serviceman himself after the originals were lost or destroyed. So unless you have put an advert out saying you are willing to pay an outrageous sum for grandads medals then they wouldn't necessarily be a recent scam.

Edit, in fact it is probably worth more to them by selling them blank and unnamed.

Edit2, When I said renamed by the serviceman I did mean on behalf of the serviceman, unless of course that was his trade, oh you know what I mean.

I think Mick is right, the number of 'unnamed' medals seen on ebay and the bids they attract suggests that it is often more lucrative to erase some medals to the big corps than sell them with original details intact.

People seem to want a damaged original issue medal at an inflated price rather than a good quality replica for a modest sum (I'm thinking £10.00 only from some suppliers).

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi, I think you are worrying too much. The fact is there is only a slim chance of finding them anyway, so I would cross that bridge if and when it happens. If they are for sale from a bona fide dealer you will have no problem as the details will state "re-named". The question then would be why were they and are the originals out there as well, which does happen. If for sale from a collector you should ask for good photos and a money back guarantee that they are genuine. Having said that if the collector is a member of The OMRS you are usually safe as well. Good hunting...John

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that there is only a slim chance of finding my Grandfathers medals, much as I would love to, however, I am an optimist generally so who knows, I will keep on hunting and there has been some good advice offered here.

post-55662-022734000 1297977070.jpg

Seany,

Why not post his details on here, and on the British Medal Forum, for you never know what may turn up.

I will back what the others have said. If someone has named medals, then they would sell anyway, so I don't think anyone would go to the effort to skim and re-name them. As they have also said, the un-named originals are worth more than the named or erased medals.

Cheers Andy.

Almost looks like it's been named with an electro-pencil... :o

Seany,

I can offer for sale Not :D , genuine medals of men who served in WWI,i.e their 1914 Star,without Clasp,and their War and Victory Medals.

But why?

They were and are my Uncles

George