Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Help

Guest Red Wimp

A relative has passed me a copy of this photo of an as yet unidentified ancestor and hoping that someone may be able to tell me something form the uniform etc which may help me identify him.

I am told he's a Lieutenant in the Fusiliers ? I think it says Calais on the frame, was it common for officers to have their photos taken on the way to the front as it were?

post-63997-082674600 1296766165.jpg

post-63997-002631900 1296766248.jpg

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.

I would agree with H.W. that he is almost certainly a Royal Fusiliers officer, but the photo was taken post WW1 because he is wearing WW1 ribbons on his tunic. These appear to be DCM, 1914 or 1914/15 Star, BWM & VM.

If you have any idea of a name then it may be possible to find out more.

Hope that this helps,

Robert

PS His rank is Lieutenant(2 pips).

Hi Dave,

I have just checked a few photos and am now 99% certain that he is Royal Fusiliers. I have also checked the Feb 1919 army List and in there appears a 2/Lt A.F.Gower, DCM, under the 1st and 2nd Bns Royal Fusiliers--does the name ring any bells?

Robert

He also appears to have the Army Long Service (and good conduct) medal and, as the DCM could only be awarded to an OR, he is clearly an officer raised from the ranks.

The collar badge at that time was a similar size to the cap badge and in OSD Bronze.

post-599-006814900 1296818276.jpg

I don't see an Army LS&GC I'm afraid, just a DCM and Trio - the final ribbon being that of the Victory Medal as shownn up in chromatic film again (see past threads on this, passim...)

Btw....2 x pips is a full LT.

Rgds

Tim

I don't see an Army LS&GC I'm afraid, just a DCM and Trio - the final ribbon being that of the Victory Medal as shownn up in chromatic film again (see past threads on this, passim...)

I thought I could see a dark ribbon with white edges, but in a B&W photo it might be something else. He would have needed 18 years service and I concede that seems unlikely given his relatively youthful looks.

I'd agree there are only three ribbons after the DCM, so a trio makes sense.

Nice 'tache.

Wow this forum was recommended as being very helpful but didn't expect so many replies and info so quick. I'll check out that name and let you know.

Did the Royal Fusiliers recruit from anywhere, I presume it's not a regional regiment from the name

Wow this forum was recommended as being very helpful but didn't expect so many replies and info so quick. I'll check out that name and let you know.

Did the Royal Fusiliers recruit from anywhere, I presume it's not a regional regiment from the name

The Royal Fusiliers recruited from the London area.

Their title being officially The Royal Fusiliers (The City of London Regiment).

Dave,

His full name is(or could be)Arthur Frederick Gowers--I forgot to add the 's' and called him Gower!! According to his MIC he came from Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire. Does this tie in with what you already know?

Robert

P.S. According to his MIC he applied for a replacement DCM? can't tell when though!!

They were THE Line Regiment for London and had their headquarters in the Tower of London. Their successor, the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (RRF), has carried that tradition on to today.