Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualties buried in home village

David Seymour

I am trying to help one of my pupils to solve a small mystery in her current research project on the casualties local to her village in Suffolk. The names concerned are:

KERRY, EDWARD Private 2nd Bn London Regt (Royal Fusiliers) Age: 24 Date of Death: 12/05/1916 Service No: 726 Son of Mrs Amelia Goodwin, of The Maltings, Wattisfield. Casualty Type: WATTISFIELD CEMETERY (The local history book says that he was buried on 16/5/16))

MILLER, GEORGE Private 8th Bn. Suffolk Regiment Date of Death: 07/12/1916 Service No: 14014 WATTISFIELD CEMETERY

LANDYMORE, ERNEST WILLIAM Private 2nd Bn. The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regt.) Age: 24 Date of Death: 02/11/1917 Service No: 12332 Son of Mrs A. Claydon, of The Street, Wattisfield. WATTISFIELD CEMETERY (The local history book says that he was buried on 8/11/17))

Clearly two are without doubt local lads and the local history guide book for the village suggests that the third is as well. The small mystery is that the same book says that all three were "killed" whilst it points out that two others "died" in hospital (one at Sheerness and one at Farnborough in Kent). So, presumably they were not "killed" abroad as their graves would be abroad in line with standard IWGC practice. Therefore, how were they "killed"? Air raid or training accident? Would "killed" be used for a training accident?

I wonder if any Forum Pals have any ideas which might help solve this small mystery?

As always very grateful for any help.

Regards,

David

David,

Recently researched a man who was killed walking in front of his aircraft when his mechanic accidently triggered the guns. He is listed as "killed".

Pretty sure most home based accidents of all types would result in the death being recorded as killed.

Bob.

David

As they died in the UK their death certificates would give a cause of death. If they were actually killed in the UK while in service there would have been a coroner's inquest, and those papers should be held at the County Record Office.

Sue

The term 'killed' when talking about UK deaths invariably involves some form of accident. However, there is also the slight chance that the death was due to homicide or air raid/coastal bombardment/aerial action/naval action as may be appropriate.

As Sue says, their death certificate will almost certainly give the answer.

Bob, Sue, Terry,

Many thanks for your very helpful advice. I will pass your thoughts on to my pupil.

Best wishes,

David

I have noted during my research into Lancashire Fusiliers, examples of casualties buried in the UK, their deaths being a result of natural causes, suicide and also murder, although small in number it shows that not all deaths were as result of wounds, accidents etc. Cheers Neil.

Neil,

Interesting to read of your Lancashire Fusiliers examples. Many thanks.

Regards,

David