Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Big Ack' squadron identification

Grovetown

I wonder if anyone could help me pin down an unidentified squadron that features in a photograph album of mine? Locations identified in the pictures are: Bath, Hythe, Moislains August 1918; Bellevue – ? (presumed Christmas 1918); Ypres – ? (again apparently Christmas '18).

All the aircraft shown, with one exception, are Armstrong-Whitworth FK8s (160 Beardmore). No serial numbers are visible, but one is named ‘Bolsover’.

Possible squadrons (at least?) from the FK8 are 2, 8, 10, 16, 35, 82; while those corresponding with the locations are: 8 (Bellevue), 10 (Menin), 35 (Moislains), 82 (Menin).

The problems arise, for instance, when it seems that apparently 8 wasn't at Bellevue in December '18 nor similarly was 35 at Moislains in that August.

For those with an RAF List (of which I'm not I'm afraid), one pilot is identified as Capt. M. G. W. Stewart DFC.

Can anyone help make it more specific? Thanks.

Captain M G W Stewart DFC flew AWFK8s with No 35 Sqn RFC/RAF. From entries in 'The Sky Their Battlefield' he was with the unit at least between 22 March and 4 October 1918.

The following exploits are mentioned:

22 March, flying B327, with Lt L C Keen as observer, shot down in aerial combat at Poeuilly and aircraft destroyed;

25 March, C8440, Lt L C Keen, shot down near Albert and aircraft burnt;

24 August, D5154, Lt H S Howard, forced to land in a trench and aircraft left; and

4 October, C8406, Lt A E Sherwood, damaged by ground fire and forced to land.

I hope this helps.

Dear Dolphin

Thanks very much for that - excellent help. I think we can safely say that these photographs relate to 35 sqdn now, as Stewart features in five of them. Furthermore, with your helpful list, other previously 'illegible' names become clear - Howard being one of them.

Now I know - or can at least be very confident - of the squadron, I can hopefully 'get into' 35 and pin down the rest of the named images.

Thanks once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Grovetown,

Can you identify any markings on the pictures. White squares, lines etc, other shapes which were used to distinguish squadrons.

35 Squadron, RFC, formed on 1st February 1916, at Thetford, from nucleus of No.9 (Reserve) Squadron. To Narborough in June to complete training and end January 1917 to France (Armstrong Whitworth FK8s army co-operation duties). having been trained for co-operation with cavalry (the squadron crest is a horse's head with wings), There were cavalry officers attached to it during mobilisation. Posted for duty with the Cavalry Corps, it remained so until March 1918. It returned to England in March 1919, disbanded at Netheravon June 1918.

Somewhere I have a list of all the Commanding Officers.

regards

Darryl

Dear Darryl

Markings: other than the 'Bolsover' above, I don't think so. The images are quite small - 3" by 2" - and not crystal clear. I'll get back into the album with a 'linen checker' glass and see if anything emerges.

Further to my orginal post, I believe I've deciphered most of the names. FYI:

Apparently training: no wings/ brevets etc:

1. Band

2. Berry

3. JKH (I believe to be the photographer, wears observer brevet later on).

Operational (role stated where wings/ brevet visible):

1. Aitkens (observer)

2. ‘Babs’ (pilot)

3. Bush (OR)

4. Cilton or Hilton? (observer)

5. Clift (pilot)

6. Coles

7. Corson (pilot)

8. Gallop

9. JKH (observer)

10. Hackett or Hallett? (observer)

11. Howard

12. James

13. Keppell (sat in an SE5)

16. Capt. M. G. W. Stewart DFC (pilot) (as per Dolphin's post).

17. Richardson

18. ‘Scottie’ (pilot)

19. Sedgwick

20. Thompson (pilot)

21. ‘Tich’

22. Tomlinson (OR)

23. Walker (observer)

42 images in total.

41 sundry other images – holidays (Isle of Man/ Blackpool), cricket, family etc – many featuring ‘JKH’ above.

Anyone ring a bell?

Best wishes.

Johnny,

35 Squadron stopped using the unit marking from 22/03/18, so doesn't fit your time period.

You may be interested to know that they also had some Bristol Fighters for "special duties".

I'll try to find an old article I know I have "somewhere" on the weekend.

Darryl

Thanks Darryl

You're right about the time frame. All images are post April 18, as they show a mixture of RFC and RAF service dress. There are no markings on the aircraft, and no Bristols.

I'll scan the pages if you'd like a look.

Stewart Taylor writes a few paras on 35 in C&C 33/2 p.118. Apparently they were not a happy bunch. He also makes reference to an A. H. Coles, which could be the Coles in my album. He didn't pitch up until 10-11-18, so didn't get to do a great deal!

He also refers to an extensive article on 35 in C&C 29/4. Unfortunately, my membership of CCI didn't commence until 30/1, so it looks like 20 quid's worth of back issues for me!

Your interest thus far is appreciated.

Johnny

I wonder if 'Richardson' might be 2Lt Ernest James Richardson, from Southport Lancashire, aged 19 when killed in action on 27 October 1918 when flying in an unidentified AWFK8 with 2Lt H G Harper, who was either wounded or unhurt (depends on the reference). He had been shot down on 22 August 1918 when flying with Lt G J Gunyon in C8644. 2Lt Richardson is buried at Prement, France.

'Howard' could be Lt H S Howard, who flew with Lt M G W Stewart in D5154 on 24 August 1918.

2Lt J M Walker served in No 35 Sqn (flying C8557 on 16 May 1918, with 2Lt T H McNay) but he was a Pilot, not an Observer.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Confusing Gareth! Richardson looks way too old to be 19, and Walker is definitely an observer. Here with a picture of Richardson and 'Sedgwick'. Close up of Richardson follows below.

Gallop in the air; and the "Start of night bombing raid, Moislains Aug. 1918"

Sobering thought that this might be either the sortie of 22 August 1918 when Richardson/ Gunyon were shot down; or that of 24 August, when Howard and Stewart were forced to land.

Gareth and Darryl,

And finally Richardson closer in. If he is 19, he certainly looks older - an attritional effect of war flying?

And now I've blown it up, there appears to be an 23 on the aircraft in the background.

Nevertheless and despite the discrepancies, we now have confirmed in 35 a Coles, Howard, Richardson, Stewart and Walker. All names which figure in the album. While they're fairly common names, one likes to think that an 'overlap' of five is beyond coincidence and that this must be a 35 sqdn album.

When I get hold of the relevant C&C, I'll let you know one way or t'other.

Good work chaps, and thanks.

Johnny,

I have C&C 29/4 in front of me. I was going to offer to send you the article but it is 40 pages or so and the rest of that volume has some great stuff in it. (Including three parts of a four part article by Jeff Jefford on "TheObserver in the RFC." )

If you want to buy the volume it would be well worth it. (and I will send you a copy of the first part of WCmdr Jefford's article, for completeness.) Let me know

Regards

Darryl

That would be great Darryl and thanks. At 40pp, I would imagine the piece should have 35 pretty much covered.

Ironically, I'd been meaning to get this volume for the Observer articles for some time, and this has provided the additional spur.

I'd be really grateful for the first part too, if you would organise that, and I'll PM you with some details.

Thanks once again.

PS/ I have a new challenge - Germans this time - coming up and I'll post it as a new topic later.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all pals who initially pointed me in the direction of 35 Sqdn. Having acquired the relevant volume of C&CI Journal, I have been able to positively identify 17 of the 19 officers named in the album. This also includes, much to my extra satisfaction, JKH - the photographer and compiler of it (2 Lt John Kenworthy Holdsworth).

Brilliant. Thanks again.

Rgds,

Grovetown.

• 3 years later...
Johnny

I wonder if 'Richardson' might be 2Lt Ernest James Richardson, from Southport Lancashire, aged 19 when killed in action on 27 October 1918 when flying in an unidentified AWFK8 with 2Lt H G Harper, who was either wounded or unhurt (depends on the reference). He had been shot down on 22 August 1918 when flying with Lt G J Gunyon in C8644. 2Lt Richardson is buried at Prement, France.

'Howard' could be Lt H S Howard, who flew with Lt M G W Stewart in D5154 on 24 August 1918.

2Lt J M Walker served in No 35 Sqn (flying C8557 on 16 May 1918, with 2Lt T H McNay) but he was a Pilot, not an Observer.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Hi Gareth, I know this thread happened a long time ago but I picked up info.that included my father 2/Lt H G Harper.

2/Lt Richardson was a good friend of my Dads and they flew together many times. They were shot down 27.10.18 by groundfire (303 bullet which I have) and the bullet went through Richardson's seat, hit his femur and deflected, through my fathers seat and into his back 1" to the right of his spine! I believe they came down near Breville but I want to know if this recorded anywhere.

Deeman

Thanks for the message.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything in the normal published references, but I would think that the RAF Museum and/or the UK National Archives would have something from the squadron records.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks to all pals who initially pointed me in the direction of 35 Sqdn. Having acquired the relevant volume of C&CI Journal, I have been able to positively identify 17 of the 19 officers named in the album. This also includes, much to my extra satisfaction, JKH - the photographer and compiler of it (2 Lt John Kenworthy Holdsworth).

Brilliant. Thanks again.

Rgds,

Grovetown.

Hi, I am new to this Forum but I am very interested in the 35 Squadron photo at Bellevue, December 1918. My father rejoined 35 squadron on 15th Dec after being shot down on the 27 October (with Richardson) so he might be in the group. Is it possible for me to see the photo?

Incidentally I have a studio portrait of Richardson taken in Hastings in April 1918.

Can you also tell me what C&CI is?

Ian

• 1 month later...
Hi, I am new to this Forum but I am very interested in the 35 Squadron photo at Bellevue, December 1918. My father rejoined 35 squadron on 15th Dec after being shot down on the 27 October (with Richardson) so he might be in the group. Is it possible for me to see the photo?

Incidentally I have a studio portrait of Richardson taken in Hastings in April 1918.

Can you also tell me what C&CI is?

Ian