Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. R.W. DEWSON, DCM, MC

Ken Lees

Another interesting article from my local newspaper (20th Sept. 1917). Any further information on this man (or his brother) would be welcomed. Are citations available for Boer War DCMs?

"Skelmersdale people will be especially interested in the fact that the MC has been awarded to Capt R. W. Dewson of the Australian A.S.C. Though serving with the Commonwealth forces, Capt. Dewson is really a West Bromwich man and his brother still resides in the town. Captain Dewson served through the South Africa war & distinguished himself by winning the DCM. At the conclusion of his period of service with the colours he held the rank of Sgt & his military experience has stood him in good stead during the present war. On the outbreak of war he joined the Australian 1st Division and was given the rank of Sgt. Major and took part in the Gallipoli campaign when the ANZACs won undying fame. Twice he was wounded, the second time severely, his knee being smashed and he was invalided back to Australia. When he recovered, Captain Dewson again joined the forces and received a commission for which he had been recommended before his departure from Gallipoli. He was attached to an Australian division which proceeded to France and there he has been serving for some time. At Messines he was wounded by shrapnel and is now in hospital in the north of England but before leaving France the MC was conferred upon him:-

“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in personally taking a convoy of ammunition to its destination under exceptionally difficult and trying circumstances. In spite of intense gas shelling and having to deal with an almost impassable river, trenches, wire and other obstacles, he brought his convoy through with the greatest skill and initiative, setting a fine example to his men”.

An interesting fact in the family history is Captain Dewson’s elder brother, ex-CSM C.P.G. Dewson who lives at Churchfields, West Bromwich is also the possessor of the DCM, won during the present war.

Captain Dewson formerly resided at Skelmersdale and his wife, Mrs Dewson, is a daughter of Mr Jervis Close, of Sandy Lane, Skelmersdale."

Ken,

Not to much on offer in regards to Dewson, however if you go to the Aust War Memorial site and check out the honours and awards it will give you the full text of his citation for the MC and where, when etc. Unfortunately there is no record of a citation for his Boer War service.

Link: Australian War Memorial

You can also check out the Nominal Roll and Embarkation lists to give you a little more info.

I checked for photos and other documents on him but there seems to be none.

Tim L.

Thanks Tim, I will check out the link.

As this man has connections to a local village, I am adding him to my database of local men who served, so any information I can find about him will help to fill this out.

Regards,

Ken

ken,

captain dewson is listed in the west bromwich book of rememberance, which is supposed to list all men that served.it also states killed 1918

enoch

Enoch,

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised that he was killed until I began to follow the link that Tim provided. Checking CWGC it reveals that he died on 27/05/18 and is buried in the Longueau British Cemetery, near Arras.

Thanks again,

Ken

ken,his brothers dcm citation l.g.13/2/17 page 1554 (s.staffs)

enoch

Enoch,

Thanks again. I wish I had this much information about all of the men in my database!

I really will have to do something with at all, one day :rolleyes:

Regards,

Ken

Sorry to be a stickler for detail, but any written description of this officer should actually read:

Captain R.W.Dewson MC DCM

As the MC takes precidence over the DCM.

Echoing Ken's query, is it possible to find citations for DCMs won in the Boer War? I too have a local man who won the same medal in South Africa, before fighting through much of the Great War.

Sorry to be a stickler for detail, but any written description of this officer should actually read:

Captain R.W.Dewson MC DCM

As the MC takes precidence over the DCM.

Paul,

Thanks for that. I suppose I should have known that, but I made the assumption that they should be in chronological order. :unsure:

Andrew,

If only the British were so good at making such detail easily available. Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Ken