Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis gun (To Mod or not to mod?)

rayoung74

Fingers crossed this won't get me lynched by a rampaging mob of outraged WW1 Miltaria collectors but...

I was giving some consideration to purchasing a Lewis gun (nothing to radical so far!) but getting it modded like I have seen done to some ww2 BREN's so that using I think it's gas, It appears to fire. I saw a Vickers last year attached to the gas set-up and you wouldn't know it wasn't live firing (All right blank firing.) I know that there is as much chance of me getting a live Lewis as there is of getting a 6 figure lottery win. As a re-enactor/living history type I would love to take part in a skirmish as a No1 on a lewis team.

That being said there is the issue of how the Mod would affect the value of the Gun as well of course.

As ever I would be interested on hearing other views on this...

Youngie

You're talking about a replica Lewis arn't you? I've no idea as to the price of an authentic 95 year old Lewis gun, but I certainly wouldn't want to bu*gar about with one of those causing irreperable damage for the sake of gas flashes. :o

Like this?

I think it just clips on, No welding ect needed. It doesnt modify or damage the gun at all. Should just unbolt or unclip and its back to normal.

Gaz

Since the price of a de-activated Lewis seems to be about £4,000 these days I can only say that mucking them about to use gas is upto you.

I have very little time for de-act weapons, but then I am old and crochety and have fired most of them live anyway, so my opinion probably counts for little. However, if it can be done with no modification to the weapon then fine, but I don't see how this can be achieved.

At the end of the day, it is your money so you can do as you wish!

Regards

TonyE

You would need a supply ( a gas bottle) and a connection to the weapon (a tube or pipe) so it certainly would not be easily portable or very attractive looking. The ones I have seen are usually mg34 and mg42's which have been vehicle mounted so the bottle would be hidden and more easily transportable.

Lewis guns go for around £3500 in UK at present. Worldwide Arms are advertising one at that price. I would not muck to much but then as de acts what you see on the outside is as good as it gets so to speak, and de acts as historic items have there place.

TT

I have seen it done in the past. I suppose it is entirely up to yourself. If you remember what group the person was in, perhaps contact them and ask how it was done?

Personally, I wouldn't...if you were going to sell it on in the future, it may affect the value, especially if there is 'holes' in it. I doubt it would depreciate by much right enough, due to the demand for these guns. At the end of the day it is your investment and your decision.

Let us know what you decide!

Lewis guns go for around £3500 in UK at present......

:o

18 months ago they were £3000

Perhaps I should have purchased a couple - Better investment than my ISA

Andy