Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE muzzle cover

18th Battalion

I've just come across this on ebay:

post-59637-086682600 1296409490.jpg

Did a quick search on the forum and didn't find any results; was this one of many gadgets used to try and keep rifles clean, the seller says they are extremely rare? "Produced for a limited period in 1915". This one is currently at £205 and the reserve hasn't been met!

I've just come across this on ebay:

post-59637-086682600 1296409490.jpg

Did a quick search on the forum and didn't find any results; was this one of many gadgets used to try and keep rifles clean, the seller says they are extremely rare? "Produced for a limited period in 1915". This one is currently at £250 and the reserve hasn't been met!

Yes, very scarce!

Sometimes referred to as a "Flanders mud flap"

I suspect it will sell for a lot more than a complete rifle would cost!

Chris

If only I could find mine! I know I had one somewhere, but several house moves over the last forty years probably means it has been lost forever!

Regards

TonyE

Yes. I spotted this on Ebay and took an interest. A little beyond my pocket money at the moment. Given that item is so scarce, can reproductions be found?

Cheers

If only I could find mine! I know I had one somewhere, but several house moves over the last forty years probably means it has been lost forever!

Regards

TonyE

You're going to kicking yourself, it just sold for £560 :o

Good prediction Chris.

Edit. You beat me to it Youngie.

Wow!

What else can i say.......

Be wary or fake Flanders Flaps from France - I've bought one on ebay for $100 and its clearly a repro. It works just fine but I was hoping it was real.ffl.jpg

Years ago when I was living in New Zealand the NZ Army tendered off a large quantity of aiming spot lights for the Vickers, Thompson and SMLE. I got one of each type. When I checked the contents of the wooden book the SMLE spot light came in, there at the bottom of the box covered in grease and straw was one of these muzzle protectors. Thank you New Zealand Army!

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Be wary or fake Flanders Flaps from France - I've bought one on ebay for $100 and its clearly a repro. It works just fine but I was hoping it was real.

Out of interest, never having seen one of these before, what marks your one out as a reproduction/fake presuming the ebay one in my original post is genuine?

Original from Monchy;

nose.jpg

The markings on mine were the give-away - a poorly executed broad arrow and "1917" conveniently obscured by a well placed spot of rust on perfect cold blued steel.... John

Missing the spring;

nose1.jpg

Good condition relic, with some of the wood work still surviving and a mudflap, it must be a fairly unique example? Any chance of seeing a picture of the complete rifle?

I have only a couple more & not great quality;

PICT3005.jpg

It is a rareity.The only one I've come across & I've had many relic smellys over the years;

PICT3008-1.jpg

The butt was solid & there was quite a bit of the breach cover remaining.

What are the soil conditions like at Monchy as the butt is remarkably well preserved, I thought wood usually only survives that well in dense clay with little oxygen present?

The lower relic is cocked and loaded, are the police over there more sensible about relics like that compared to the UK?

Depends on the clay.If trapped in water,the wood seems to survive very well but,the regional clays can be very acidic or neutral etc.Depends on the depth,region & water table.I know that some amazing things have come out of the clay in Belgium.Wooden boxes,intact stick grenades & the ilk.Rarer around my region but,depends where.

As to Police,I'd rather have a Brit copper than a French one knocking on me door,anytime.Any relics are drilled through the receiver then plugged.Takes 10 minutes.

That top Smelly in your picture looks a bit rusty since I last saw it, Dave! You want to give it a good squirt of WD40! :innocent:

Cheers

Uncle Tony

WD40?

They were a great band :hypocrite: