Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New acquisition

rayoung74

Wotcha gang

Just got an 07 bayonet with Quillon (YAY!!!) but it is a bit grubby and I was wondering what would be the best way to go about cleaning the blade? Would a quick spray of WD40 and a wipe over with a bit of rag be liable to adversely affect the blade?

Youngie

PS Will be posting pictures of the marking's on the blade and handle later as I am uncertain as to what some of them are.

For starters a read through THIS recent thread should provide some useful info regarding the markings on that era P1907 bayonet. (Also a little on the cleaning process.)

Cheers, S>S

Okay. Having problems uploading pictures atm so here's what the stamps I don't recognise from other bayonets.

1) Below the crown and to the left of E.R. stamp there appears to be a 13.

2)On the left of the date stamp 5' 09 is a 50 above an L

3)On the right of he date is a '10 above a U and either a 3 or an S and an E

Example '10 U3orS

E

The other side of the blade has all the usual markings proofing etc.

On the base of the handle there is what appears to be an I then an L an E another I and what looks like a C with a score through the middle of it. below this there is a 3. then CT

I'll keep trying with the pictures. (worth a thousand words and all that.)

Youngie

Okay. Having problems uploading pictures atm so here's what the stamps I don't recognise from other bayonets.

1) Below the crown and to the left of E.R. stamp there appears to be a 13.

2) On the left of the date stamp 5' 09 is a 50 above an L

3) On the right of he date is a '10 above a U and either a 3 or an S and an E

On the base of the handle there is what appears to be an I then an L an E another I and what looks like a C with a score through the middle of it. below this there is a 3. then CT

Hi Youngie,

I have messed with your photo a bit to make it a little easier to understand. The numbers '10 and '13 in the red circles are 'reissue' dates that indicate when the bayonet has been reworked and then reissued. At the same time the armourers apply their individual inspection mark which are shown in the black boxes. They normally appear in the format Crown over letter/number over E (for Enfield) but sometimes are only partially stamped. The J.A.C. stands for the maker Chapman.

The markings stamped on the pommel are most likely the regimental stamps, with the 1 LEIC indicating issue to 1st Batallion of the Leicestershire Regiment, and then a later reissue to 3 CT which should be the 3rd Battalion of the Connaught Rangers. Apart from that everything else looks to be in order ..... except for all that 'orrible silver paint.!!?? :D

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-020111000 1296170025.jpg