Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More than Bombs and Bandages

frev

Mrs Frev,

Very kind of you to include my new book on the Forum. For those not so familiar with my work, it's all about what Australian nurses actually did overseas during the war which included CCS nurses getting left in no man's land one night...

cheers,

Kirsty

At last, another book on our wonderful nurses:

http://www.bigskypub...hp?iid=212&vt=B

Congratulations Kirsty - I'm looking forward to picking up a copy.

And for the few of us living in Victoria:

http://www.shrine.or...ocument_id=2599

Cheers, Frev

Hi

I am just wondering if any of you have come across an Australian nurse, Isobel Hutton, RRC, who was with the AIF in Palestine during WW1?

Also, if you have come across any references concerning Australian nurses in Egypt who provided relief to the Armenian refugees at Port Said in 1915.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

According to my records, Isobel Hutton, actual name Ellen Isobel Hutton, was a member of the Australian Army Nursing Service, and after serving with this group in Egypt and then Palestine at Belah, transferred in 1918 to the American Red Cross until 1921. Her AANS service record is available on line from the National Archives of Australia.

I've not heard of any nurses providing relief to Armenian refugees at Port Said in 1915. There were no Australian hospitals with nurses there at that time. If you have more specific dates, then PM me and I'll have a search for Australians serving with other forces.

cheers

Kirsty

Hi

I am just wondering if any of you have come across an Australian nurse, Isobel Hutton, RRC, who was with the AIF in Palestine during WW1?

Also, if you have come across any references concerning Australian nurses in Egypt who provided relief to the Armenian refugees at Port Said in 1915.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Regards

David

Congratulations on what looks to be a valuable addition to our knowledgebase. Bluesky seemed to have come to the party with a rush in publishing books of interest to Australians on Australian subjects.

I look forward to procuring a copy. I think your autograph upon a copy could be more valuable than a non-signed Peter Hart volume.....

Dear Kirsty

Thank you very much for refering me to the NAA archives. The file on Isobel contains much valuable information. Also, I forgot to congratulate you on your new book. I am looking forward to reading it.

Yes, Isobel joined the American Red Cross (ARC) in 1918, however, in March 1919, an agreement was signed between the American Red Cross and the Near East Relief (NER), an American philanthropic organisation established to save the survivors of the Armenian Genocide, transferring all the ARC personel in the Near East to NER control. I have found a number of articles on Isobel's work with the NER in Australian newspapers and in the Red Cross Record of NSW (official Red Cross magazine). Any other suggested archives will be highly appreciated.

In regards to Australian nurses assisting the Armenian refugees in Port Said, Egypt, see PHD Thesis "Jessie Tomlins: An Australian Army Nurse World War One" by Ruth RAE available at http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/840/2/adt-NU20020222.16060902whole.pdf See page 225. Jessie was with the 14th Australian General Hospital at Port Said. Any more references of Australian nurses assisting the Armenian refugees will be highly appreciated.

Regards

David

In regards to Australian nurses assisting the Armenian refugees in Port Said, Egypt, see PHD Thesis "Jessie Tomlins: An Australian Army Nurse World War One" by Ruth RAE available at http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/840/2/adt-NU20020222.16060902whole.pdf See page 225. Jessie was with the 14th Australian General Hospital at Port Said.

Hi David

Jessie Tomlins was with the 14th AGH at Port Said from Dec 1917 to Feb 1919 (not 1915)

It's possible that other nurses may have paid a visit to the refugee camp during time off too - (although it's noted that it was an hours sailing from Port Said) - this is detail you'd probably only come across in diaries - if I do I'll let you know.

Cheers, Frev

Hi David and Frev,

Yes, Frev is correct - Ruth Rae was citing a February 1918 entry in Jessie Tomlins' brother's diary. Nurses often visited other hospitals or camps on their days off but that doesn't mean that they assisted them in a nursing kind of way, or any other - but simply that they were there. Jessie Tomlins may not have even gone into the camp but went for a look. Nurses were keen tourists on their days off.

cheers

Kirsty

• 10 years later...

ten years on, I find myself with a copy of said book and I'm looking forward to reading it in the course of my studies on the women buries on the Western Front. 

My only problem: I did not realize (overlooked it in fact) that the "pocket book edition" that I bought on amazon is in fact the "big letters" edition... So I have the book but in oversize edition! 

anyway... looking forward !! 

M. 

Edited by Marilyne