Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge Identification

Tonym

Can someone offer a definitive title for the attached badge illustration please? Suggestions so far = Volunteer Worker - Woman Volunteer and Woman's Voluntary Service, the latter I doubt as WVS were not established until 1938 and the badge looks earlier. Woman Volunteer looks possible as it has a brooch pin attachment. It is also made by Gaunt London and numbered 60274.

Grateful for any assistance.

Tony

post-1946-072627000 1296053047.jpg

Can someone offer a definitive title for the attached badge illustration please? Suggestions so far = Volunteer Worker - Woman Volunteer and Woman's Voluntary Service, the latter I doubt as WVS were not established until 1938 and the badge looks earlier. Woman Volunteer looks possible as it has a brooch pin attachment. It is also made by Gaunt London and numbered 60274.

Grateful for any assistance.

Tony

post-1946-072627000 1296053047.jpg

Hi Tony,

I rather feel that this may be of WW2 vintage--possibly 'Volunteer Warden' for air raid wardens--but not sure. I'm quite certain that someone will be along soon with the correct answer.

Robert

Robert

Thanks for the interest but I served in the Civil Defence during WW2 and did not come into contact with this badge. Apart from that all Wardens were technically Volunteers, most of those I served with were ex-WWI servicemen.

Tony

My memory is not as good as it was however I seem to recall this badge appearing on the forum before.although I can't find that post.

Dave

My memory is not as good as it was however I seem to recall this badge appearing on the forum before.although I can't find that post.

Dave

Dave

I have also ran through a few of the posts on badges but couldn't find this one. Cheers for trying.

Tony

Indeed:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96837&st=0&p=906685&hl="volunteer%20worker"&fromsearch=1entry906685

Thanks Andrew

However, whilst 'pbrydon' quotes a definite Volunteer Worker that doesn't specify the work the wearer was engaged in so still a mystery.

Tony

This badge is the WW1 and is for Volunteer Workers who work to provide the extras for the Arm forces . The Badge changed for WW2 and the title changed also to Voluntary Workers for the Forces however I believe they provide similar services in that war,

The badge is referenced in Jon Mills book on Home Front Lapel Badges pg173

Mike

Thanks Mike

However my brain is still in recession as to what function the wearer of this, assumed officially issued badge, would be involved in that was not already covered by one of the many other badges - Red Cross - St. John's - Salvation Army - etc. etc. who undertook many ancilliary tasks in support of the Armed Forces.

Tony

Thanks Mike

However my brain is still in recession as to what function the wearer of this, assumed officially issued badge, would be involved in that was not already covered by one of the many other badges - Red Cross - St. John's - Salvation Army - etc. etc. who undertook many ancilliary tasks in support of the Armed Forces.

Tony

Most probably for volunteer workers in such as the many wet canteens that sprung up in railway stations, rest camps, local garrison towns and villages, factories and so on. Not all such establishments were run by the bigger organisations like the Salvation Army and everyone who helped wanted a badge to mark their status and efforts at a time and culture of badges for so many different functionaries. Everyone had to be seen to be doing their bit, especially by 1917-18, when it must have seemed that the entire country was mobilised and doing something for the war effort.