Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Photo Album

DavoT

Good evening,

not quite sure if this is the right place to post but recently purchased this album. Alas, no photo's inside just some writing on the inside cover. Very good condition for its age.

Cheers,

David

post-27290-003240100 1296031769.jpg

post-27290-041198300 1296031782.jpg

Hi David

I have a few of them with photos in them, I always find them very colour full and cheaper then British ones.

Cheers Roy

Hi Roy,

interesting that you have a few and with photo's to boot. This was the first one I'd ever seen although I do have quite a few German PPC's. Are they common place over there?

Cheers,

David

Greetings David,

I’m a US GI currently stationed in Germany (For the last five years). The WWI German Photo Albums with patriotic covers are quite common to find for sale here. They are much more common (here) in Germany, than the American equivalent ones are back in the US.

My Grandfather made two photo albums of his service with the US WWI 27th Infantry Division (One of the two US divisions attached to the British) and I bought my first WWI German photo album on a deployment to Germany back in 1987. I did so, because I thought it was interesting to compare/contrast it to my Grandfather’s photo album. Later, when I was actually stationed in Germany I had/have plenty of time to travel to all the little out of the way antique shops and occasional militaria shows and I was surprised just how many of these albums are out there. I’m more of a blade collector, but the ready amount of German WWI Patriotic pieces (Not just albums) out there caused me to begin collecting those items as well.

One of the more oddball photo post cards in one of the albums is a German Soldier communicating that he’s “fine and eating well” as a prisoner of war in England. OK, David apologies for length of my reply, I just wanted to share my thoughts, that there are a veritable treasure trove of these albums still in situ (In Germany).

Regards,

Lance

Hi Lance,

firstly welcome to the forum :). Thanks very much for your response. I have a number of varying WW1 German items, mainly photo's/postcards but as I said earlier I'd never seen an album before - liked it and bought it. It's always nice to look at WW1 from differing 'angles'.

Cheers,

David

David;

If you could post a variant of the second photo/scan that is readable you might get someone to read/translate the writing for you.

Bob Lembke

Hi Bob,

I've rescanned the inside cover. Hopefully a translation might be forthcoming.

Thanks,

David

I'll take a stab at that one...

For the remembrance of

Garrison Hospital Bamberg

??????

Red Cross

Baramin Stengel

I'll take a stab at that one...

For the remembrance of

Garrison Hospital Bamberg

??????

Red Cross

Baramin Stengel

Thanks for that. My german is not too flash.

Cheers,

David