Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal cards

amb

Does anyone out there have access to Medal Cards or is it simply a question of having to buy them from the National Archives website? If I was sure of my man it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm having to play a bit of a guessing game which could work out quite expensive! Many thanks.

• Admin

You can access the medal index cards on Ancestry who offer a 14 day free trial, or for free at most libraries (Ancestry library edition) in the UK

If you posted a name although it is against forum rules to post the card I'm sure someone will look it up for you who knows there may even be a service record!

Ken

Go to Ebay and enter "medal index cards" there two I think who will produce you an MIC fo £1-just follow the instructions-if unsuccessful pm me

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to eliminate people and am at present considering Cameron, Andrew S. Cameron Highlanders 21996 and Machine Gun Corps 72193 and Cameron, R.R., Royal Field Artillery 93125. I have yet to sort out my local library having recently moved house. Regards.

What are you trying to find out specifically. I am sure someone would have a look at ancestry for you to see if anything has survived.

I would be pleased to help if I can.

susan

• Admin

Andrew S Cameron is the MGC one

BWM and Victory no other info on card

Robert R Cameron RFA won the Military Medal

He is entitled to BWM Victory and 1915 Star entered theatre (3) 14/7/15 (EGYPT) Card marked 'Dead'

SDGW Robert Ramsay Cameron kia 15/9/1917 F & F b. Dumbartonshire enlisted Clydebank

CWGC http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=439782

As Susan says what do you need to know?

Which one is it? If you post his dob I'll have a look on the records there are over 50 Robert Camerons RR does not leap out

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Belated thanks Sue and Ken

I am trying to identify the photo posted as my ID image on this site. He has a MM ribbon but I understand not all medal cards include these. I was told he died of wounds in 1918. His surname was Cameron but that's all I have. Unfortunately his service number is too faded to make out. I'm not giving up with this but am not sure where I can go from here!

Regards

AMB

Can you post a larger image of the photo to see if there are any shoulder titles etc?

edited to add: - Have you tried looking at the entries for Cameron on the CWGC site for 1918, there are 131 and it's common for those with awards to have them noted on their entry e.g.

http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=565647

Name:CAMERON, ANDREW STUART

Initials:A S

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text:44th Coy.

Date of Death:02/03/1918

Service No:72193

Awards:M M

Additional information:Son of James and Elizabeth Cameron, of Millbank, Southwick, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:II. A. 14.

Cemetery:TILLOY BRITISH CEMETERY, TILLOY-LES-MOFFLAINES

Sam

9 Camerons are recorded on the CWGC Debt of Honour per GSE who were awarded the Military Medal...

001 CAMERON D 1024 5TH BN 14/11/1916 SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS

002 CAMERON J 22665 Y COY 8TH BN 09/10/1916 NORTHUMBERLAND FUSILIERS

003 CAMERON J R/15457 3RD BN 10/05/1920 KING'S ROYAL RIFLE CORPS

004 CAMERON K 9008 2ND BN 01/07/1916 SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS

005 CAMERON A - 8TH BN 09/04/1918 BORDER REGIMENT

006 CAMERON B 42503 167TH COY 03/05/1917 MACHINE GUN CORPS (INFANTRY)

007 CAMERON AS 72193 44TH COY 02/03/1918 MACHINE GUN CORPS (INFANTRY)

008 CAMERON J 300912 8TH BN 25/10/1918 ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

009 CAMERON S S/9480 1ST/7TH BN 02/09/1918 ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

which might reduce your searching....

Do you know if he survived WW1 or not?

Where he came from, any family details etc etc?

Here's another 2: -

http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=468687

http://www.cwgc.org/...casualty=567462

Name:CAMERON, JOHN

Initials:J

Regiment/Service:Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Unit Text:8th Bn.

Date of Death:25/10/1918

Service No:300912

Additional information:Son of Angus and Margaret Cameron, of Oban.

Casualty Type:

Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:VII. K. 10B.

Cemetery:MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY, LE TREPORT

Name:CAMERON

Initials:S

Regiment/Service:Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Unit Text:1st/7th Bn.

Date of Death:02/09/1918

Service No:S/9480

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:VII. G. 31.

Cemetery:BROWN'S COPSE CEMETERY, ROEUX

The Scottish National War Memorial site shows this additional info for the 3 men I've listed: -

Pte Andrew Stuart Cameron was formerly 21996 Pte Cameron Highlanders and born Southwick, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Pte John Cameron was born Kilmore, Argyllshire and his entry lists him as 2nd Bn A&SH.

L/Sgt Samuel Cameron was born Kilbrannan, Argyllshire.

Have you any idea of which part of the Country your man came from?

Sam

I've attached some images which might help. Unfortunately the enhanced photos are too big for the site to upload. Thanks again for any suggestions. Will certainly go through the list you have sent. I have really too little to go on but am keen to try.

post-10769-041296400 1298389973.jpg

post-10769-082590800 1298389992.jpg

post-10769-036374400 1298390011.jpg

post-10769-015059400 1298390038.jpg

post-10769-015269600 1298390046.jpg

I have really too little to go on but am keen to try.

What exactly do you have?

How do you know his surname is Cameron? who told you he DOW in 1918, are they related? Where'd you get the photo? Is he family? Do you know where his family come from? Is he Scottish?

Also you say "Unfortunately his service number is too faded to make out", where is this number?

The folks on here are good at solving Jigsaw's without the box, but we need to know everything you do, if you don't know the correct family, you have no chance.

MMs [Military Medals] are usually on a separate MIC from the 'routine' medals, and these cards are only available via the National Archives site, not from Ancestry.

A

The folks on here are good at solving Jigsaw's without the box,

Sorry to but in, but that must be the best analogy I have heard to describe the people here :lol:

There is a number on the top of his sleeve at the shoulder. I assumed this might be his army number? I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant in these matters so apologies if I've completely misunderstood its significance.

The photo came from my late aunt and is of her father. She wrote on the back that he was the eldest son of an old English Catholic family and that he died of wounds in 1918. Unfortunately there is no one to verify this. My grandmother, who was born Mary Jamieson, was known as Mary Cameron when she later married so I assumed that she took this name as that of the father of her first two children. My aunt was born in 1918 and she had a brother born 1916 who was adopted possibly by his father's family. Birth certificates for both have the father's name left blank. My grandmother served as a forewoman in the WAACs with the 2nd Artists Rifles at Hare Hall which must have been in 1917. She is supposed to have spent time in France, stationed outside Lille at some point. I have been told that wouldn't have been with the Artists Rifles though. Unfortunately her war record didn't survive the Blitz and she died in 1947 so I never had the chance to talk to her about it.

This is probably a lost cause and I don't want to put anyone to a lot of trouble for what is only scrappy and unverified information.

Thanks again.

So - your grandmother was Mary Jamieson later Cameron and it was her husband, your grandfather, that the picture is of.

Do you know when she married him and where ?

As far as I've been able to ascertain she never married him. After he died she went on to marry my grandfather and had 5 more children of whom my late mother was one. The name Cameron appears on the birth certificate of her first child with my grandfather. The mother's name is written as "Mary Reid, nee Jamieson, late Cameron", Reid being my grandfather's name.

Do you know how complete the Commonwealth Graves website is? The following soldier doesn't appear on it but does that mean that he definitely survived the War?

Sapper William J. Cameron, Royal Engineers 47858

joined 29.7.1915

MM 9.7.1917

medal card : Victory,British and 15 Star medals.

The CWGC should be 100% and I cant see him on SDGW so it looks like he probably did survive.

So, Cameron could be either a marriage that cannot be found or simply a name she took on whilst living with him.

There is a number on the top of his sleeve at the shoulder. I assumed this might be his army number? I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant in these matters so apologies if I've completely misunderstood its significance.

The photo came from my late aunt and is of her father. She wrote on the back that he was the eldest son of an old English Catholic family and that he died of wounds in 1918. Unfortunately there is no one to verify this. My grandmother, who was born Mary Jamieson, was known as Mary Cameron when she later married so I assumed that she took this name as that of the father of her first two children. My aunt was born in 1918 and she had a brother born 1916 who was adopted possibly by his father's family. Birth certificates for both have the father's name left blank. My grandmother served as a forewoman in the WAACs with the 2nd Artists Rifles at Hare Hall which must have been in 1917. She is supposed to have spent time in France, stationed outside Lille at some point. I have been told that wouldn't have been with the Artists Rifles though. Unfortunately her war record didn't survive the Blitz and she died in 1947 so I never had the chance to talk to her about it.

This is probably a lost cause and I don't want to put anyone to a lot of trouble for what is only scrappy and unverified information.

Thanks again.

Its actually a shoulder title and will be an abbreviation of his regiment. Does SDGW have any of the listed MM winners as DOW in 1918? Then we can compare anyone that matches to the shoulder title length etc.?

Have you tried local newspapers. There may be an account of his death or MM award?

Rgds

Tim D

Its actually a shoulder title and will be an abbreviation of his regiment. Does SDGW have any of the listed MM winners as DOW in 1918? Then we can compare anyone that matches to the shoulder title length etc.?

Of the 4 MM winners named Cameron on the CWGC site for 1918, 3 are Scots but amb wrote "She wrote on the back that he was the eldest son of an old English Catholic family and that he died of wounds in 1918" the other is 2nd Lt Archie Cameron of the Border Regt, the photo is not of an Officer.

Sam

Cheers Sam,

Hard to tell. Archie is formally a PTE in KOSB so could be the man...are the others actually from Scotland or just served with Scottish units?

King's Own Scottish Borderers 16964 Private

King's Own Scottish Borderers 16964 Corporal

Border Regiment Second Lieutenant

Rgds

Tim

The shoulder title seems to be a cloth slip on one, possibly black letters on a green back ground. I wonder if it says KING'S; and KOSB would certainly fit. Would it be possible to take a higher resolution photograph of the shoulder title and send it to me so that I can play around with the contrast. If you are happy to do this I will pm you my email address.

Cheers Sam,

Hard to tell. Archie is formally a PTE in KOSB so could be the man...are the others actually from Scotland or just served with Scottish units?

Hi Tim

In my post #11 you'll see all 3 were Scottish, as for Archie, he's listed on the SNWM roll "Scottish casualties extracted from English Regiments", so it looks like he's also a Scot.

http://www.snwm.org/...ite/frames.html